JimmyHat

Desert Bowhunting without the illegals

I'll try and make this short.  I did a search on this and didn't get anything.

I live in NM, I used to hunt a couple of the border units had an issue one night and haven't been back.

I love desert mule deer hunting.  Tags here in NM are hard to draw now, 3rd year with no January tag.

So, I'm looking at Arizona as a possible place to hunt in January when I don't get drawn here.  Are there any desert units that don't have the problems with the illegal traffic, drug runners and garbage, people rummaging through your stuff at night, shooting...etc?  Looking to be able to camp and not use hotels.  Not really asking for specific areas just units in general.

Any advice appreciated.  Thank you.

Camped in 36B 2 years ago and hunted 36A in early November. I ran into so many it was spooky walking in during mornings. This last year I didn’t have a tag but we camped in 36A  and my sons hunted 36B and it was the same. We all carried handguns. 

I am not going in super deep.

I had a stalk last year, long distance following kind, ended by helicopter racing overhead to "pinpoint" illegals.  Some upward trend in black water bottles since the New Admin was coming in. But, in 6 winters and a couple summers, off and on I have never seen any illegals but the helicopter bust.

However, it has to be happening somewhere, to someone...

There are plenty of "desert" units with little to no illegal activity.  You don't have to hunt the border units to chase desert muleys.   Check-out the G&F unit boundary map and look at the units 'one removed' from the border units.  We are in AZ so there is always a chance of seeing illegals, but it is generally reduced greatly if you are not in a border unit.

Good luck!

Was in the 36’s two weekends ago found some deer along ways away we got in about 400 yards and got up to glass found the deer and about 15 minutes later we see some coues deer come running up over a little ridge which caused the mule deer to run we didn’t know what was going on few minutes later 4 illegals come up and over 3 had backpacks one was carrying a couple jugs of water second time running into them, like mentioned up above makes the hike in a little sketchy!

Appreciate the responses.  I know the topic of non res. In AZ is not a popular topic.  I get it.  If I want to know what it’s like to hunt the Gila I have to watch dudes from Ohio do it on YouTube.

next year, if I’m feeling rich I may hunt somewhere in 36 and stay in a hotel.  However, I hate that so, I’m looking a little bit at 24a.

Arizona illegal numbers are at all time highs right now! probably continue for awhile.

• Like 2

Hunted 36B this year on the late December hunt, didn't see a single illegal alien.  Since 1994 I have hunted 34A, 36A,B and C and turkeys in 35A&B. I have hunted from tents and trailers and have never had any problems with illegal aliens. Have seen the large groups with the kiddy backpacks and blacked out water jugs and the small groups with the burlap backpacks.  It seems to me you cant go more than 5 minutes without feeling some sort of BP presence.  To me there are far more scarier places in AZ than the border units.

• Like 3

Everything north of I10 is better to get away from illegal traffic. Unit 27 is close to you and absolutely rugged, which discourages illegal traffic also.

5 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Everything north of I10 is better to get away from illegal traffic. Unit 27 is close to you and absolutely rugged, which discourages illegal traffic also.

This...lots of desert areas north of I-10 or one-removed from the border like Stanley said. 

On 1/27/2021 at 6:04 PM, eom said:

Was in the 36’s two weekends ago found some deer along ways away we got in about 400 yards and got up to glass found the deer and about 15 minutes later we see some coues deer come running up over a little ridge which caused the mule deer to run we didn’t know what was going on few minutes later 4 illegals come up and over 3 had backpacks one was carrying a couple jugs of water second time running into them, like mentioned up above makes the hike in a little sketchy!

Drug mules

12 hours ago, Big Tub said:

Thanks, I’ll take a look at 27,  see if it’s OTC.