JimmyHat

Desert Bowhunting without the illegals

19 minutes ago, JimmyHat said:

Thanks, I’ll take a look at 27,  see if it’s OTC.

If they're still open, there were two places near Arivaca where you can stay in either a tent or RV. Both are short jaunts to a few different hunt units. Of course, you can still encounter the Mexican 'tourists' while hunting, but at least you can sleep better and not worry about getting robbed at night-- maybe. 🙄

My son & I always tent camped somewhere along the Ruby road over the years and never had a problem. Then I had access to a nice a tent trailer about 10 years ago, so we stayed at the Universal Ranch RV Park. It was nice to have wi-fi, electricity, water and a heated restroom with showers close at hand. At the time, there was also a small restaurant on site. I don't recall what a space cost per night but am thinking it was like $25 or so. Probably be less for a tent. 

I've never stayed at the other place, but it's La SiestaCampground.

Come and enjoy the great outdoors, Arivaca is a small village about 60 miles south of Tucson. From I-19 at Amado, this is a pleasant country drive 25 miles to Arivaca.

Here are our recommendations for things to do in Arivaca, as well as nearby attractions. Included are our dining and lodging suggestions.

Arivaca is a great place for hiking, bird watching, & observing wildlife at the Arivaca Cienega and Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge (BANWR).

Nightly Rates;

RV Sites with Hook-Ups $40.50 plus tax

RV Dry Camping Sites $35.50 plus tax

Tent Camping Sites $25.50 plus tax

On Sites;

Bathroom/Showers

Ice Machine

Washer and Dryer $5

Fire Wood $20

For Reservations Email lasiestareservation@gmail.com

RVers Shelter-In-Place.

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

If they're still open, there were two places near Arivaca where you can stay in either a tent or RV. Both are short jaunts to a few different hunt units. Of course, you can still encounter the Mexican 'tourists' while hunting, but at least you can sleep better and not worry about getting robbed at night-- maybe. 🙄

My son & I always tent camped somewhere along the Ruby road over the years and never had a problem. Then I had access to a nice a tent trailer about 10 years ago, so we stayed at the Universal Ranch RV Park. It was nice to have wi-fi, electricity, water and a heated restroom with showers close at hand. At the time, there was also a small restaurant on site. I don't recall what a space cost per night but am thinking it was like $25 or so. Probably be less for a tent. 

I've never stayed at the other place, but it's La SiestaCampground.

Come and enjoy the great outdoors, Arivaca is a small village about 60 miles south of Tucson. From I-19 at Amado, this is a pleasant country drive 25 miles to Arivaca.

Here are our recommendations for things to do in Arivaca, as well as nearby attractions. Included are our dining and lodging suggestions.

Arivaca is a great place for hiking, bird watching, & observing wildlife at the Arivaca Cienega and Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge (BANWR).

Nightly Rates;

RV Sites with Hook-Ups $40.50 plus tax

RV Dry Camping Sites $35.50 plus tax

Tent Camping Sites $25.50 plus tax

On Sites;

Bathroom/Showers

Ice Machine

Washer and Dryer $5

Fire Wood $20

For Reservations Email lasiestareservation@gmail.com

RVers Shelter-In-Place.

Thank you

2 hours ago, JimmyHat said:

Thanks, I’ll take a look at 27,  see if it’s OTC.

As of now 27 is OTC.  I'm hoping that with the amount of people there this year it goes to a draw.  It really got hammered hard this year.

On 1/27/2021 at 6:56 PM, JimmyHat said:

Appreciate the responses.  I know the topic of non res. In AZ is not a popular topic.  I get it.  If I want to know what it’s like to hunt the Gila I have to watch dudes from Ohio do it on YouTube.

next year, if I’m feeling rich I may hunt somewhere in 36 and stay in a hotel.  However, I hate that so, I’m looking a little bit at 24a.

I've had more sketch experiences in motels that I have had hunting southern units.

Having said that, my error transposing numbers back in 2007 landed me with a 36B tag and my eyes were opened to the mess Illegals have caused in the hills out there! Even back then that year we had a chopper visit us on our glassing spot with a low fly by and a night visit down the wash we were camping above!

Very sad to see.   Some years back it seems I remember a crackdown on border crossings around Tucson.  m saw a major rise in crossings here.  We have areas like that on our border as well.  I don’t think it covers as much ground as it does in AZ though.

My last hunt down there, the day after having gunshots go off in camp at 2am, I saw some deer enter a stand of some kind of brush/trees.  REALLY thick stuff about 10’ tall.  This stuff was located on public land right next to some kind of green, irrigated private land and a couple of ranch houses.    That spot was obviously being used as a hideout for illegals.  I had to wonder what it would be like to have all that activity basically in your back yard.

42 minutes ago, JimmyHat said:

Very sad to see.   Some years back it seems I remember a crackdown on border crossings around Tucson.  m saw a major rise in crossings here.  We have areas like that on our border as well.  I don’t think it covers as much ground as it does in AZ though.

My last hunt down there, the day after having gunshots go off in camp at 2am, I saw some deer enter a stand of some kind of brush/trees.  REALLY thick stuff about 10’ tall.  This stuff was located on public land right next to some kind of green, irrigated private land and a couple of ranch houses.    That spot was obviously being used as a hideout for illegals.  I had to wonder what it would be like to have all that activity basically in your back yard.

Many of my friends who still live in the bootheel still deal with border crossings every day......

So, here is my rule.    If I go south of Phoenix I carry a handgun.   If I go south of Tucson I carry a handgun and a long gun.   There are desert units that you can hunt that wont have illegal activity.....well at least less illegal activity.   The local street corners have illegals on them but its different than running into them in the field.  Typically north of phoenix will have very little illegal activity.

I've run into many drug runners, illegals, and twice I've run into guys that weren't from the US that had black guns.   It does give you an rush that is much higher than hunting animals.   Typically they won't try and kill you.   If they shoot at you it is just to scare you.   Keep you distance and you will probably be fine.   

On 1/27/2021 at 7:42 PM, AZLance said:

Arizona illegal numbers are at all time highs right now! probably continue for awhile.

I heard search and rescue found over 190 bodies in pima county in 2020

I will have to rescind my earlier statement, about not seeing any one in the border units.

and frankly, it looks to be worse than the Bush era. That video showing trash, debris, clothes, backpacks is not unusual, but the stuff was getting pretty sun-worn and brittle. Now the desert is going to get fresh backpacks, jeans, water bottles, etc...

Unit 27 is recommended by G&F for a complete closure of OTC deer hunting and to become a draw-only unit.  For those not paying attention to what G&F is doing, they are recommending the closure of tons of December and January OTC hunts for this year, and will likely continue to close more and more OTC deer hunts each year until the OTC deer hunt opportunity is largely gone in Arizona unless hunters voice their concerns this week.

Christian Hunters of America AZ OTC Deer Survey

G&F OTC Deer 2021.JPG

• Like 1

I can not get the link to the sportsmans group proposal to work.  Anyone know the cliff notes?   Something needs to change quickly or our deer herds are going to continue their rapid decline.  Sucks, but I see OTC all but gone in the next 10 years.  glass half full, it might make rifle draw odds considerably better.