257wby

Remington 700 gunsmith

I would try Phoenix Custom Rifles or Eric at Axisworks. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 2:32 PM, SHOOTER said:

Sounds like a hot load or your ejector may be have a dirty plunger. Post pic of the case marring.

yep

It is the same between factory loads and my loads.  My loads are straight out of the Nosler book.  Even when I put in a factory load, it seems like the head space of off as the bolt is tight to close.  This case was cycle several times, so the marring is a little exaggerated.

C4F1EB46-AD19-49E8-92EA-0B66B6B42466.jpeg

I have a custom built .257Wby that looks like that with factory loads but they look fine in a Weatherby rifle.  I believe it is because the custom gun is not freebored like the Weatherby rifle so it develops higher pressures with the same loads.  I quit shooting factory ammo in it and only reload and carefully work up loads looking for signs of pressure.  I don''t know about Remington factory (assuming yours is) barrels in terms of whether they are freebored or not.  Just a wild thought and it would not explain why chambering a new factory round would be harder than you would expect.

Has the problem just recently developed?

By the way, the custom rifle I referred to is built on a Remington 700 titanium action.

It has the same amount of free-bore as my old Weatherby Vanguard did.  It has been like this since day one and has even been returned to Remington to make sure it was within spec.  When I got it back it was only slightly better.  I sold my old Weatherby to a buddy and I load the exact same rounds for him with no issues as far as pressure.

The ejector mark on the brass is a sign of high pressure. But that doesnt seem to be your only problem. Hard to tell without looking at the gun but almost looks like your bolt face needs squared/refaced/cleaned up on a lathe.

I would back the load off first and try that before doing anything drastic. Because you definitely have some pressure signs...Also had good luck with Todd at Southern Express

Overpressure!  Especially in a belted case that does not headspace off the shoulder.  That is significant, not just a bit of shine.

Screenshot_20210201-060500_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8566e2ba53e1a44c83633f878bc9fee8.jpg

Have you measured your freebore/lands?  

How long since you cleaned it?  Thoroughly. Oil in the chamber?

Carbon ring?

Load recipe?  Velocity?

How much is your shoulder growing from new/fired?  FL bumped back to?

• Like 1

Free bore is about 0.35 if I remember correctly.

IMR 7828 SSC. 69 grains @ 3425 fps 

115gr Nosler BT

this doesnt explain why the bolt is tight on a case right out of the box though.

Don’t know about the shoulder.

This is not a fair representation of the marring.  I was cycling the bolt several times with this case it.  I put some marker on the lugs trying to see where the tightness was.

Can you extract a loaded cartridge after closing the bolt on it and check for rifling engraved on the bullet. That would explain a lot.

If your bullet is not jamming the lands. It is probably a headspace issue. Too tight. Need to set the die to bump shoulder a little more or the chamber needs to have a little more cut out of it.