Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Close Encounter of the First Kind

Poor bastard obviously got his wits knocked out when he’s lost his left uppers.... cool vid.   Brain dead bulls are my forte

I called a few in for my daughter like that, pretty exciting when they get that close.

we were sitting on a cliff having a snack and bullshitting one day late afternoon. I'd grab out the call every once in while and blow on it. Claudia was giving me crap and saying " I cant figure out how you call in elk cause that sounds like Crap" Her bow layed behind her out of reach. we heard some rustling on the cliff coming up Kid goes " Dad you called up another hunter boy is he going to be pissed when he gets up here." I blew again. figured he would turn around. Nope looked over and a big butt bull was about 10 yards away and started grunting and snorting. Claudia makes a mad dash for her bow and the thing just watches her. he wanders to the top grass patch between he and her was a manzanita bush. she was behind it I was 10 feet behind her and he was right on the other side staring at her. so after a few mins of this cat and mouse game she decides to crawl under the bush to get closer to it and hopefully get a shot.

she gets almost to the other side belly crawling, the elk puts its head down in the bush. I hear a "WOW you have pretty eyes" the bull snorted at her she got hit with spit. then he walks 10 feet away she gets up draws and he trots off to about 50 yards head on, she miss's he just looks at her knocks another arrow and just as she released he turned away and trotted off about 100 yards.. we played cat and mouse with that bull for a couple hours. it got dark we started heading back to the Jeep which was like 3-4 miles away. that stupid elk gave her 3 chances to shoot at it well after dark closer than 20 yards.  he followed us all the way to the jeep we got loaded up and he just stood in the middle of 2 track watching us.

I think they like screwing with people.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Delw said:

I called a few in for my daughter like that, pretty exciting when they get that close

Aha, I wondered if those without FB would be able to see it. 👍 

I've had several very close enounters. Will post about them later. 

I don't have cool video like this but just great memories of an elk sniffing my face at about 3 inches. 

1 minute ago, Big Tub said:

so did the hunter have a cow tag?

Have no idea. Maybe the broken tine was a no-go or perhaps he was too engrossed in soiling his underwear rather than knocking an arrow. 😎

I can vouch that an experience like that will make one soil their shorts. That short film nearly mirrors the exact thing that I had happen several years ago. 

These are my personal encounters with moose from another thread like this one: 

About 30 years ago, I was on a deer/elk pack-in hunt back in the Grey Mts. in Wy. There were about five other hunters in camp and one of them had drawn a moose permit. So one day, I had ridden my horse out alone to hunt in a place the outfitter had told me about. I tied up my horse and headed up a small ridge. There was a game trail right on top, so I decided to sit on a stump a bit because it afforded a good view of the valley below. I was there about 15 min. when I heard a shot that came from the heavily wooded area below me. Five minutes later, I had a bull moose barreling down the trail toward my stump., and I could see blood pumping out of his side. I had my .264 across my lap but quickly raised it just in case. The moose kept coming. When it was about 10-12 yards from me, I shot it in brisket. He dropped immediately. As I was wiping my butt, the guy with the moose permit and his guide appeared to claim his prize. 

The other incident also happened many, many moons ago when I was personally hunting moose in northern BC. My Slavey indian guide and I had left the main camp and set up a spike camp on a lake about 10 miles away. We spent six days searching for moose & caribou wthout much success. Then one day, we were riding across a ridge in a light rain, and I had to take a leak. After I was done, I decided to glass across my saddle down into a big valley below us. Within a minute, I saw something white move in a big stand of alders. When it moved again, I could tell it was a moose antler. I told Jimmy, and he asked me if I could shoot it from there, which was about a 1/2 mile. I just laughed, then told him we're heading down there. So I took off my rainsuit, hitched up my socks and we were on our way. What I didn't realize was the alders were much taller and thicker than they looked from above. We began to push our way thru them, and all of a sudden, the moose busted out, running along a hill about 125 yds broadside to us. I told Jimmy to bend over. While he covered his ears, I rested on his back and got off three shots. I heard and saw them hit. After each of the first two, Jimmy confirmed them with, "You got 'em," and I said, "stay down" so I could shoot a third time.

Problem was the moose didn't seem to know I had hit him. He took off racing over the top, where we lost sight of him. It took us at least 1/2 hr. to get thru the alders and over the hill. There we could see my moose about 50 yards away. He was lying amid a lot of blown down jackpine-type trees with brush on either side and had his head fairly upright. While Jimmy, who didn't even have a gun, stood off to the side, I moved around in front until I was about 10 yards away. I planned to shoot just under his chin, but when I raised the rifle, it was still on 9X; all I could see was hair. I lowered it to adjust the scope. When I did the moose stood and started toward me.  Uphill from me, he seemed huge -- like I was looking up at his head ten feet above me. I turned to run, but tripped on one of the deadfalls. Both me and the rifle went flying. As I covered my head with my arms, I yelled to Jimmy to tell my wife I love her. Then I heard the crash. The moose had died and fallen about 10 feet behind me. When we field dressed and skinned him, we found all three of my bullets against the farside hide in an area about the size of a pie plate They had pretty much wiped out the lungs but had missed the heart. And I survived! 🤣

Geez, I forgot the other moose attack I had survived in Yellowstone NP. 

I had located a decent bull that was meandering between the road and the shoreline of Yellowstone Lake. So I parked my truck, grabbed my cameras and proceeded to get into a  good spot to take some pics. I was doing just fine; I snapped the shutter and the moose continued what he was doing. That all changed when a bus load of Japanese (maybe Chinese) tourists also saw the moose and dismounted the bus in mass. Within two minutes they had the moose's attention as they closed in on it from behind. Then he started toward me; he didn't appear real happy. I couldn't get to the road so I quickly backed up to a very large downed tree that had been propped up about 5' above the ground. I was able to duck under it to the other side just before the moose arrived, reared on his hind legs and hammered the downed tree with his front hooves. I was literally shaking in my boots. It seemed like a very long time, but it was probably only two minutes or less before he got bored with me, moved down to where the tree entered the water and walked around the tree to my side. That's when I ducked back to the other side and ran as fast as I could to the road and my truck.  I sat there and watched while the tourists loaded back on the bus as if nothing unusual had happened. 

• Like 1

That video is wild! 

and boy that BC story scares me the most because at that point the moose is literally fighting for it’s life (even though it was a goner after those 3 shots)! All 3 experiences I’m sure were unreal!