Calebwalter

New hunter looking for mentor

I’m new to hunting in general. Started hunting squirrels in 2019, hunted squirrels and coues in 2020, and I’ve tried hunting predators along the way. I have a luckyduck e caller, and I have called in 1 fox (didn’t shoot at the time because I didn’t know if it was legal) but other than that I seem to suck royally at hunting coyotes. 

im looking for some guys on here who hunt coyotes that can show me the ropes. I have an ecaller, I have my own guns, and I don’t mind driving. Hopefully someone on here who hunts them wouldn’t mind me tagging along. 

I live on the east side, right by the Mesa Sportsmans Warehouse 

• Like 1

1) The guys that hunt them all the time wont take you to their areas so you need to have your own picked out so they can take to your spots.

2) Repeat #1

3)Do you have gloves and a face mask? You can hunt in jeans and a camo shirt but you must cover your hands and face. Dont move abruptly on stand very slow movement, once you spot a coyote dont move while you can see its eyes let him slip behind cover before shouldering your firearm and turning your body.

4) Sit on a short stool/chair. This way you can sit on stand for 15 to 45 minutes. (Lions, bears,bobcats and smart old dogs)

5) Make sure to hide your truck. If the incoming predator sees your truck he will leave. 

6) This one is more important then you might think, dont call to loud, start at a very low volume and after about 5 minutes you can turn it up a bit but they hear 10 times better then you think. Once you see an incoming predator turn off the caller it already knows right where you are (within 5/6 feet) even if he is still 300 yards away. If need to get his attention lip squeak, this will be necessary to stop him for a shot. Sometimes they will act like they dont see you and will circle you downwind, dont let him lip squeak to stop him but be ready to shoot.

Have fun!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, 452b264 said:

1) The guys that hunt them all the time wont take you to their areas so you need to have your own picked out so they can take to your spots.

2) Repeat #1

3)Do you have gloves and a face mask? You can hunt in jeans and a camo shirt but you must cover your hands and face. Dont move abruptly on stand very slow movement, once you spot a coyote dont move while you can see its eyes let him slip behind cover before shouldering your firearm and turning your body.

4) Sit on a short stool/chair. This way you can sit on stand for 15 to 45 minutes. (Lions, bears,bobcats and smart old dogs)

5) Make sure to hind your truck. If the incoming predator sees your truck he will leave. 

6) This one is more important then you might think, dont call to loud, start at a very low volume and after about 5 minutes you can turn it up a bit but they hear 10 times better then you think. Once you see an incoming predator turn off the caller it already knows right where you are (within 5/6 feet) even if he is still 300 yards away. If need to get his attention lip squeak, this will be necessary to stop him for a shot. Sometimes they will act like they dont see you and will circle you downwind, dont let him lip squeak to stop him but be ready to shoot.

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. There is a couple places where I have heard coyotes make noise all night. I’ll go check them out.

In the spring time, what call are people having luck with? When do the yotes stop to drop puppies? 

Some people like to use coyote howls and pup in distress  in the spring time, but they are always hungry so the rabbit, and bird sounds work great so will a fawn in distress . If you heard them at night thats a start, now drive around at night and into the dark morning and stop and use your howler to locate them you must do this at night, that is how you find your own spots. Dont over call one spot, if you have half a dozen spots you can hunt them maybe once a month or so. They are smarter then you think!

• Like 1

what lucky duck ecaller you have? I been thinking of picking up one saw some videos over the last week using there callers I liked some of the sounds. mainly thinking about it for that little whirly attachment they have. Before my Daughter moved out we mainly hunted yotes with bows that thing would be perfect.

I got 2 fox pros and they served me well but generally use high pitch mouth calls My favorite is Critter Calls there high pitch squeller in stubborn yote areas..

15 hours ago, Delw said:

what lucky duck ecaller you have? I been thinking of picking up one saw some videos over the last week using there callers I liked some of the sounds. mainly thinking about it for that little whirly attachment they have. Before my Daughter moved out we mainly hunted yotes with bows that thing would be perfect.

I got 2 fox pros and they served me well but generally use high pitch mouth calls My favorite is Critter Calls there high pitch squeller in stubborn yote areas..

I bought the lucky duck rebel. I didn’t want to break the bank in case I wasn’t a fan of predator hunting, but I do wish it had more diversity of sounds.  I think it only has 12-15 sounds. Not sure if the tail decoy is a deal breaker, then again I can’t seem to call them in 

the tail decoy is pretty cool, we usually tie a feather to a tree/bush with fishing line. its more of a help for when bow hunting them.. But I am thinking of giving one of those a try for firearms..

only reason I got the electronic calls years ago was cause my Daughter took a while to find them. that helped giver her an edge so to speak.

10 dollar hand call vs 350 electronic call hard to justify for yotes at times. lol

Come to the next Phoenix Varmint Callers meeting, 1st Wednesday of the month, 7pm at the Glendale American Legion post 29. Details on our website.

www.pvci.org

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Calebwalter said:

I bought the lucky duck rebel. I didn’t want to break the bank in case I wasn’t a fan of predator hunting, but I do wish it had more diversity of sounds.  I think it only has 12-15 sounds. Not sure if the tail decoy is a deal breaker, then again I can’t seem to call them in 

You only need about 5 at most.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Couestracker said:

Come to the next Phoenix Varmint Callers meeting, 1st Wednesday of the month, 7pm at the Glendale American Legion post 29. Details on our website.

www.pvci.org

I’ll have to try and make it out there for that!

59 minutes ago, Couestracker said:

www.pvci.org

Is there any such groups you know of further south?

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

You only need about 5 at most.

exactly. I only use the annoying high pitch sounds mainly 3 of them. I dont have luck ie confidence in any of the others especially low pitch or barking sounds