Dirt Nap

HAM Question

Can I use a AR pistol on this hunt? I have a bcm 5.56 pistol with a brace. If so, can you use an optic or does it need to be iron sights? Thx

If you're judged by the letter of the law it seems like you'd be ok. If they use the "spirit of the law" you might have problems. You never know nowadays how the law will be interpreted. 

• Like 1

I asked the same question to AZGFD.  Answer: they accept the legal definition of ATF.  SOOooo ... for this season, the AR pistol is still a handgun.  With the chaos going on as a result of the presidential election, I would not count on that current definition for long.  Since the definition is based upon the whim of these bureaucrats and their "letter" for the definition of a handgun brace versus a stock.  I have to give ole Mitch credit for squelching the last try, late last year of ATF to "legislate by letter" and rescind the ruling/letter that actually happened under Obama (go figure ??? Who would have thunk it???).  

Note: I do agree that it certainly goes against the "spirit of the law";  but, it is only for Javelina, so it is hard to get too excited about it.  

16 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Yes you can...I have not hunted pigs with a gun in over 20 years but 2 of my sons do and they will be using AR pistol's next week.

That would be starting Friday ... THIS WEEK!  ;)

50 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Note: I do agree that it certainly goes against the "spirit of the law";  but, it is only for Javelina, so it is hard to get too excited about it.  

The legal use of a crossnow during a HAM season also goes against the "spirit of the law" territory. 

When I was practiced up, I could shoot my bow way better and farther than my revolver.  I tried the T/C Contender route twice and gave it up -- not for me.  I think they are all about the same to me.  Again, it is just Javelina so I don't get too wound up about an of it. 

HOWEVER, with the fancy in-line muzzleloaders with their 300 yrd accuracy qualifying as a primitive muzzleloader in AZ, it is a different story for me.  Should they be allowed for the other big game???

How about that for a post steal?  Sorry about that.  But you did get a consistent answer on the AR-15 pistol being legal -- we rarely agree about anything on here!  :D