Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

Powder charge recommendations from different sources

Here are published min/max powder charge weights for 150 grain bullets from 4 different companies. Why does Sierra allow for nearly 8% more powder than Hornady? I struggle to believe bullet construction alone accounts for this. Strictly in terms of chamber pressures why wouldn’t all 150 grain projectiles be the same? Does a manufacturing variation in magnum primer makers account for 8% powder charge? Does bullet alone seating depth account for that?

Hornady 

58.8-65.5

Sierra 

60-70.4

Nosler

64-68

IMR 

62-66.2

thanks for all the reply’s on my last post about reloading for a 7mm rem mag

It is probably listed that way by them because that is what will fit in the case with that certain powder.  I like to look at hodgdon website for hodgdon, winchester and imr powders because they show what pressure a powder is at min and max. I generally use the numbers as reference, and make sure to start a load at or just above minimum (some powders, especially slow ones can have a large pressure spike below minimum).  

Start around minimum and do some work up to find accuracy.  I have some loads that are well above max, but do not show pressure, and some that show pressure signs a grain below stated max.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dse said:

Capacity of different cases very greatly

I didn’t check to see what casings they listed as test casings. I’ll have to go back and look at that. See if they published that info. Thanks. 

also different books and online factory data will have the same powder same bullet and way different loads. some vary 2.5 grains in a .223 for max load.

Theres a big difference in jacket thickness between a Nosler Accubond/Partition and a Sierra gameking, Hornady SST.