UggRedBilly

Building a water catchment

58 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

Some people said I was legal to put out a tub without a platform to catch water too. So that maybe an option. If I am allowed to build one itd be like this right here. I wouldnt really wanna use it for hunting. More of getting cool trail camera pictures. Just for a hobby because I dont really like hunting that unit. To many ATV traffic and weekend warriors. 

Screenshot_20210201-204356_Samsung Internet.jpg

If there's that much traffic I wouldn't expect that too last long being left there. That will have bullet holes in it fast

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CouesFanatic said:

If there's that much traffic I wouldn't expect that to last long being left there

If I were to put it anywhere itd be far off the road where nobody can see it from the road

• Like 1

I appreciate your sentiments on wanting to provide for wildlife and I would suggest you coordinate with the department that manages those lands so you can do the most good. You could volunteer as part of a larger project.
That catchment system is cool and it’s $900. Pretty sure you could buy a box of 22LR for that much dough right here on CWT. 
In all seriousness, aligning/coordinating your efforts with that of biologists that have taken into account the location of other water sources, animal movement patterns, etc. This would allow you to make the largest impact for the benefit of the wildlife. 
As a public land owner, like yourself, if no one here can dissuade you, I would ask that you monitor it and after the guzzler is no longer in service that you haul it back out and leave no trace. 
I agree with you that the person who drove through the temporary water puddle did not do the wildlife or landscape any favors but maybe instead run out there with a rake and smooth it out before it gets too dry. 

Worth stating: Also note any man made water source has to have an escape ramp of some type. I have pulled more that one dead squirrel from a stock tank and as you can imagine it does not help the water quality.

Glad you are getting out there!

• Like 2

Cameras are almost illegal so, it you put up your salt/drinker you wont be able to put a cam on it.

Installing a water catchment comes with a hefty responsibility, here's why.

If you dig around long enough on the web, you will find a study done about 20 years ago by AZGFD biologists concerning drinkers in the Eagletail Mountains near Tonopah.

The AZGFD had been slow to get out and check on this catchment. I can't recall the circumstances why it had gone dry but what the dept found upon arrival was startling.

Dying wildlife was found adjacent to the area. Skeletons of bighorns and muledeer lay in and around the drinker where animals had died of thirst. A check of other catchments in the immediate area showed they still held water.

The decision was made to only partially refill the drinker in order to observe the wildlife's behavior. Just as predicted, once the drinker produced and later went dry again the wildlife would wait at that drinker to get water rather than make the short trek to other drinkers within a couple miles. 

So if you decide to start putting water out for wildlife and some animals become dependent on it, how committed are you to keep water in it?

Again, find the study I'm referring to. As I recall it was in a PDF format.

Oh and you'll notice drinkers placed where cattle can get to it have fencing around it to keep them out. A single cow can dry up a small barrel in a single visit and cattle leases are everywhere.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Edge said:

Installing a water catchment comes with a hefty responsibility, here's why.

If you dig around long enough on the web, you will find a study done about 20 years ago by AZGFD biologists concerning drinkers in the Eagletail Mountains near Tonopah.

The AZGFD had been slow to get out and check on this catchment. I can't recall the circumstances why it had gone dry but what the dept found upon arrival was startling.

Dying wildlife was found adjacent to the area. Skeletons of bighorns and muledeer lay in and around the drinker where animals had died of thirst. A check of other catchments in the immediate area showed they still held water.

The decision was made to only partially refill the drinker in order to observe the wildlife's behavior. Just as predicted, once the drinker produced and later went dry again the wildlife would wait at that drinker to get water rather than make the short trek to other drinkers within a couple miles. 

So if you decide to start putting water out for wildlife and some animals become dependent on it, how committed are you to keep water in it?

Again, find the study I'm referring to. As I recall it was in a PDF format.

Oh and you'll notice drinkers placed where cattle can get to it have fencing around it to keep them out. A single cow can dry up a small barrel in a single visit and cattle leases are everywhere.

This might be the PDF? 

Wildlife Water Developments and Desert Bighorn Sheep in the Southwestern United States

An excerpt:

Arizona Catchment #933

During a routine inspection in June of 2000, 12 inches of water was found in catchment #933, a 15-year old water structure in western Arizona. In August of 2000, AGFD officials inspected that same water catchment and found it was dry. They observed a class II desert bighorn sheep ram in poor physical condition bedded near the storage tank, a dead class IV ram, a dead mature mule deer buck, and a dead coyote lying near the tank. In addition, 3 class I rams, 1 class III ram, 4 ewes, a male and female yearling, 1 lamb, and 1 mule deer were alive inside the tank. There were also 2 dead mule deer inside the tank. The fish and wildlife officials provided 4 gallons of water to the animals inside the tank, which was immediately consumed by the bighorn sheep. The officials radioed headquarters for water hauling, and dismantled a portion of the tank to allow the animals to escape. They noted that the wildlife found dead in and around the tank appeared to have died from dehyhdration. They also suspected that the wildlife had jumped into the tank to consume the remaining 2 inches of water left in the tank after the float-regulated drinker went dry. The ungulates were able to jump into the tank from higher elevations, but would not or could not leave the tank after entering. The size of the antlers on the mule deer and horns of the desert bighorn ram found outside the tank likely prevented them from entering the narrow opening into the tank.

The site was revisited 56 days later in October of 2000 when temperatures were still reaching the low 100s. There was 2 feet of water in the tank. A dead adult bighorn ewe was observed 0.5 miles northeast of the tank, and was estimated to have died that summer. Numerous deer pellets representing deer of all age classes were observed on trails around the catchment. There was no evidence of recent browse on cacti near or within 0.5 miles of the catchment. Catchment #933 met its objective to provide a permanent water source for a new herd introduced to the northern portion of the Plomosa Mountains. The nearest water source from the catchment is about 7.5 miles to the southeast through mostly contiguous habitat. Additional long-term monitoring of the catchment will provide further insight regarding its dependency to desert bighorn sheep.

Lazarus Tank

In July of 1979, Witham (1982) found a dead 9-year old ram and 5 visibly dehydrated live desert bighorn sheep near Lazarus Tank in the Plomosa Mountains. A necropsy indicated that the ram was in fairly good physical condition with substantial body fat in the abdominal cavity. However, the light weight of the ram suggests it was suffering from dehydration. Five days later, a hiker found a dead 3-year old ram at the same dry water source. On July 21, 5 mature rams were found dead in a cave 1.75 miles northwest of the site. The rams showed signs of recent rutting activity, and appeared to have died at about the same time as the 9-year old ram found near the watering hole. A nearby tinaja had also gone dry. The nearest permanent water source is 41 years old and located about 4 miles north/northeast through contiguous habitat. Numerous succulent cacti were available in the area.

4 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

This might be the PDF? 

Wildlife Water Developments and Desert Bighorn Sheep in the Southwestern United States

An excerpt:

Arizona Catchment #933

During a routine inspection in June of 2000, 12 inches of water was found in catchment #933, a 15-year old water structure in western Arizona. In August of 2000, AGFD officials inspected that same water catchment and found it was dry. They observed a class II desert bighorn sheep ram in poor physical condition bedded near the storage tank, a dead class IV ram, a dead mature mule deer buck, and a dead coyote lying near the tank. In addition, 3 class I rams, 1 class III ram, 4 ewes, a male and female yearling, 1 lamb, and 1 mule deer were alive inside the tank. There were also 2 dead mule deer inside the tank. The fish and wildlife officials provided 4 gallons of water to the animals inside the tank, which was immediately consumed by the bighorn sheep. The officials radioed headquarters for water hauling, and dismantled a portion of the tank to allow the animals to escape. They noted that the wildlife found dead in and around the tank appeared to have died from dehyhdration. They also suspected that the wildlife had jumped into the tank to consume the remaining 2 inches of water left in the tank after the float-regulated drinker went dry. The ungulates were able to jump into the tank from higher elevations, but would not or could not leave the tank after entering. The size of the antlers on the mule deer and horns of the desert bighorn ram found outside the tank likely prevented them from entering the narrow opening into the tank.

The site was revisited 56 days later in October of 2000 when temperatures were still reaching the low 100s. There was 2 feet of water in the tank. A dead adult bighorn ewe was observed 0.5 miles northeast of the tank, and was estimated to have died that summer. Numerous deer pellets representing deer of all age classes were observed on trails around the catchment. There was no evidence of recent browse on cacti near or within 0.5 miles of the catchment. Catchment #933 met its objective to provide a permanent water source for a new herd introduced to the northern portion of the Plomosa Mountains. The nearest water source from the catchment is about 7.5 miles to the southeast through mostly contiguous habitat. Additional long-term monitoring of the catchment will provide further insight regarding its dependency to desert bighorn sheep.

Lazarus Tank

In July of 1979, Witham (1982) found a dead 9-year old ram and 5 visibly dehydrated live desert bighorn sheep near Lazarus Tank in the Plomosa Mountains. A necropsy indicated that the ram was in fairly good physical condition with substantial body fat in the abdominal cavity. However, the light weight of the ram suggests it was suffering from dehydration. Five days later, a hiker found a dead 3-year old ram at the same dry water source. On July 21, 5 mature rams were found dead in a cave 1.75 miles northwest of the site. The rams showed signs of recent rutting activity, and appeared to have died at about the same time as the 9-year old ram found near the watering hole. A nearby tinaja had also gone dry. The nearest permanent water source is 41 years old and located about 4 miles north/northeast through contiguous habitat. Numerous succulent cacti were available in the area.

Could be it. But I'm fairly certain the Eagletails drinkers were mentioned although the Plomosas are nearby. If I recall, the drinker debacle was discovered while looking for evidence of lion activity so story may have been contained in a lion study? 

5 minutes ago, Edge said:

Could be it. But I'm fairly certain the Eagletails drinkers were mentioned although the Plomosas are nearby. If I recall, the drinker debacle was discovered while looking for evidence of lion activity so story may have been contained in a lion study? 

I tried searching for a lion study with no luck. Below is the only thing concerning the Eagletails in the PDF I already cited.

Eagletail Mountains

The desert bighorn sheep population in the Eagletail Mountains was extant, but static, with a very low density of 35 individuals. The desert bighorn sheep had access to natural water, a known death trap, and a quasi-perennial spring that was also used by livestock. One water source was renovated in 1989, 1 was constructed in 1990, and another was enlarged and renovated in 1996. In 1984, biologists released a total of 16 desert bighorn sheep into this area. A survey in 1994 revealed 35 bighorn sheep. A total of 75 were found in 1997—the same year that 10 were removed for translocation. In October of 2000, 160 desert bighorn sheep were found in this area and an additional translocation of 25 animals occurred. The most current survey conducted in 2003 revealed 99 observations of bighorn sheep.

35 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

This might be the PDF? 

An excerpt:

Arizona Catchment #933

Lazarus Tank

The report looks even more dire than I recall

5 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

It's from 2004, though. 

Point being?

4 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

That it might no longer be dire today. 

Yeah that wasn't my point, poor choice of words. Report from 2004 was worse than I recalled not impending.