Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

ISO - Chronograph light diffuser ideas

So I bought an entry level chronograph. Every chronograph “tips” article/video about this type of chronograph says that sunny days and direct sunlight can cause problems. Well newsflash Arizona had a lot of direct sunlight days. Since I don’t plan on driving to the Pacific Northwest to use the chronograph I am wondering if I could build a light diffuser tunnel to mount around the chronograph. There seems to be plenty of cheap easy to obtain materials to make one.  Maybe let it overhang the front and back a little.... anyone have some experience good/bad with such an idea?DDF9C48C-4F78-4ED9-9962-754910FE7597.thumb.jpeg.227b1a8ceef6930e881405d0260a6ac4.jpeg

I got the same chrono for christmas. I took it out on BLM and shot firearms and my bow through it.

It was pretty bright with the sun overhead and it reported consistent numbers for both.

I'd say an umbrella or 10x10 shade structure or backing up under your porch would be easier, but I had no issues. Admittedly it was December sun not June.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NewlyMinted said:

I got the same chrono for christmas. I took it out on BLM and shot firearms and my bow through it.

It was pretty bright with the sun overhead and it reported consistent numbers for both.

I'd say an umbrella or 10x10 shade structure or backing up under your porch would be easier, but I had no issues. Admittedly it was December sun not June.

I think an umbrella or under my porch would get better results in june/July sun.

I was thinking about travel and use at usery range. Those range masters and other range patrons might not love my 10x10 shade, and my suburb dwelling neighbors might not be as understanding as I would wish them to be about me taking pot shots off my back porch. 

All that aside i played with it in my backyard and was getting consistent reasonable readings. 

My knuckle ball had too much movement on it I couldn't get a good reading on that though. 

28 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Are you HAVING problems or just read about them and trying to avoid them?

I have the same unit and have had zero issues in many different light situations. 

I haven't had any issues yet. I'm hoping to avoid problems.

Back 10 ish years ago i had a lot of problems with the shops chronograph. I didn't understand how the chrono worked or know why I had so many problems. I just remember it being real finicky. Since then I've learned more about the many many things that could have caused me problems 10 years ago. One of those might have been weird sun light or shadows. This defuser tunnel was an attempt to mitigate that variable. 

Sometimes I don't think at all. Sometimes I over think the situation. There is no middle ground. 

Many years ago I had one of the fancier chronos that would always have issues. I bought this on a whim just to try. I have been very happy with it. I have no idea if it is ACCURATE, but it is consistent and rarely has an error read.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Many years ago I had one of the fancier chronos that would always have issues. I bought this on a whim just to try. I have been very happy with it. I have no idea if it is ACCURATE, but it is consistent and rarely has an error read.

Thanks for the anecdote, and vote of confidence in the machine. I hope I can replicate that reliability. 

13 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Coat hangers and cardboard

That’s the kind of beautifully simplistic solution that keeps me coming back. Thanks. I’ll keep that info tucked away for a rainy day.... or i guess in this case an extra sunny day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Coat hangers and cardboard

Yup.

back in the day we used Wooden clothes pins and over sized construction paper, if you have kids youll understand ;) .

bu the big metal paper clips work too. construction paper is nice cause you can roll it up.

• Like 2