Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

New Hunters

I was just thinking about a topic that came up while putting in draw apps. How many new hunters have you helped get out hunting since you started hunting on your own???

I thought back and realized Im sitting at 10 including family. I was shown the ropes around like 2012 and since then have dragged a few into this mess with me. Sorry about the draw odds issue that creates.

• Like 3

I have two first time hunters wanting help from me this year. Definitely makes it harder to draw but the more people interested/involved in hunting hopefully can help us fight off the anti hunting crowd.  

Probably at 9-10 and about half youth. Neighbor was just asking me this week about getting his boys into hunting so I might add 3 more soon. 

• Like 1

I don’t think recruiting new hunters is the problem.  There are lots on the back end who are aging out of the sport, myself included in a few years.  There are tons of people moving here.   From 2019 to 2020, there were 800 more applicants for 5bs archery bull alone, which I have been trying to draw for 10 years now. I don’t think that’s newbies.  I’m always willing and ready to help somebody new .  

I noticed this last few years the TV and youtube hunters have been advertising AZ OTC a ton,,,,I got out a bunch and ran into more out of state guys than AZ hunters.

1 hour ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

I noticed this last few years the TV and youtube hunters have been advertising AZ OTC a ton,,,,I got out a bunch and ran into more out of state guys than AZ hunters.

Yup this is a big aspect.  Never seen one of my favorite spots crowded so much, especially with out of staters.  I have probably helped 5 or so newbies so far, with one more for the upcoming javelina hunt.  

I personally gotten 4 of my friends into hunting. I encourage it. Unfortunately it can make it tough but things are changing. Would you rather the liberals get to these people who havent hunted ,or us?

I wouldnt doubt if the OTC archery went to draw tags for NR but I imagine one day a whole new draw structure will be made too. Some states make you wait after you get a harvest for a few years. While other states make you put in for either elk antelope and deer, OR moose, moutain goat, and bighorn. Itll be hard at first, but it is for the better!

For big game hunting, I can think of 9.

Add small game and bird hunting, add about 6 or 7 more.

I hopefully have one new guy this year, my nephew, if he draws a tag.  He is getting out of the navy this year, and I have been waiting for his first hunt for 14 years.  Plus, my two young granddaughters will be hunting in 7 and 8 years from now!  So can't wait for that too!  Last, my future son-in-law just joined the USAF, left for boot 2 weeks ago, and has 6 years of service to go.  But, I bought him a license this year and started building BPs for him, so when he gets home, will have 7 BPs waiting for him.  It is kind of weird, because his mom & step dad hunt, but have never taken him. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Not by accident....

when my son was still at home, each year we would pick one of his friends and I would buy them a license and a javalina tag. we took 8 young boys out and introduced them to hunting and hopefully made a lifelong good impression of hunters and hunting.

• Like 5

got a few kids that werent mine into it, got quite a few adult friend into it as well. Mainly into Varmits everyone making ballistic jelly.

The coolest one (not counting  my kids) was this young kid whos mom worked with my wife in the early 80's. kid was maybe 12 at the time , I used to take him with me alot up on the nroth rim during the archery hunt and yote hunting up there and down here., we had a good time he was alwys fun to take out.  over the years we lost tract, wife would bump into his mom ever so often. one day about 2 years ago my wife ran into him at the store. said he remembered every hunt and had a absolute blast. she found out he worked just across the street from US. The bad part I forgot all about this until this thread. I'm going to have to stop by where he works and see if he is around and say HI. cause now I feel like shoot.

one thing I remember distinctly about this kid is every time I would come up to a cattle guard he would yell super loud "Grab your Balls" heck i'd be half asleep driving(yes true story) and wake up to a kid Screaming "HEY GRAB YOUR BALLS" were going over a cattle guard. he got such a kick on saying that. really funny over the years cause from that time on every time I go over a cattle guard with anyone I smile or laugh a tad then have to tell the story to the person I am with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/7/2021 at 10:46 AM, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Been noticing this too when I stop and talk with guys.

I’m at 3 family (daughter, dad and cousin) and 2 neighbors. Funny thing is usually guys are good and know what they’re doing when they begin showing others - I’m just hoping we can learn together!