Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Res vs NR Archery Deer

Earlier this year I made a public records request for the number of resident and non-resident archery deer non-permit sales. For a couple of years it has seemed like non-resident hunter numbers have been increasing so I decided to see if my suspicion could be confirmed with data. Below are the results:

(If viewing from your phone turn sideways)

2018                                2019                                2020
Dealer sales- RES      20,832                             19,890                             21,125
Dept sales-    RES        4,807                               5,120                                5,371

Dealer Sales-NRS        1,789                               2,188                               2,591
Dept sales-    NRS           313                                  395                                  502
  • Like 2

As a non resident AZ deer hunter starting in 2002 January  after the Coues deer (20 years ago) and then every other years after that,  there is no doubt that bow hunting deer hunters have increased both resident and non residents.   With social media, sports shows, hunting websites, reasonable access and OtC tags at a reasonable price, the popularity of bow and arrow, and in January when most states deer seasons have been completed, and lets not forget, warmer temperatures.   And if one has killed a number of whitetails, mule deer, the Coues Deer may seem like a very special species to go after.

We here in Colorado have seen this exact increase of bow hunters after elk.   WE how have 43,000 bow hunters during the elk season and the splits is 49 % non resident and 51% residents.  A huge increase since I first hunted elk in Colorado as a non resident in 1988 when there were only 27,000 bow elk hunter then.   At least 80% of the elk units are OTC.  There is no doubt that at some trailheads, crowding can be an issue and we have suggested to the Commission to reduce NR licenses to draw only, but that has not happen.   Will it happen in the future?   Hard to tell.

I would expect that if the data presented went back more years, the result would show a different conclusion being that, both resident and non resident archery deer hunts have increased.   IN spite of the increase I have killed 6 Coues bucks and three in the last 6 years hunting every other year.           my best,  Paul

coues deer clean up 2012.jpg

• Like 7
  • Great Buck! 2

Paul is a killer,and a good guy to boot.Always nice to hear from you Paul.

• Like 1

DCS, thanks for the nice comment.   I hope that gold mine of yours pays off well.  :)   Looking forward to coming back to AZ  in January 2023. for another Coues hunt.  Maybe by then I will be more interested in a Desert Mule Deer.   Hope you guys get some good rains.         My best, Paul

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 6:21 AM, Riesop said:

I think all 2,591 of them were in the unit I hunted this year 😁  I have a hard time believing it's that low, but who knows, maybe it is. 

2591 + 502 so a total of 3093 licenses sold.

Covid has increased deer hunting license sales everywhere, even in WI where we just reversed a decline trend. So while they are going up it's not clear how much or how long that will continue once we get past this pandemic.  I also can't wait for it to be over so all the urban campers and hikers go back to the malls and coffee shops.  Not easy finding a camping spot or parking at trailheads either. 

• Like 1

Last Spring in New Mexico otc Spring Turkey was a Zoo and they said they set records too for Tags cause of covid..............BOB!

On 2/9/2021 at 11:01 AM, paul navarre said:

As a non resident AZ deer hunter starting in 2002 January  after the Coues deer (20 years ago) and then every other years after that,  there is no doubt that bow hunting deer hunters have increased both resident and non residents.   With social media, sports shows, hunting websites, reasonable access and OtC tags at a reasonable price, the popularity of bow and arrow, and in January when most states deer seasons have been completed, and lets not forget, warmer temperatures.   And if one has killed a number of whitetails, mule deer, the Coues Deer may seem like a very special species to go after.

We here in Colorado have seen this exact increase of bow hunters after elk.   WE how have 43,000 bow hunters during the elk season and the splits is 49 % non resident and 51% residents.  A huge increase since I first hunted elk in Colorado as a non resident in 1988 when there were only 27,000 bow elk hunter then.   At least 80% of the elk units are OTC.  There is no doubt that at some trailheads, crowding can be an issue and we have suggested to the Commission to reduce NR licenses to draw only, but that has not happen.   Will it happen in the future?   Hard to tell.

I would expect that if the data presented went back more years, the result would show a different conclusion being that, both resident and non resident archery deer hunts have increased.   IN spite of the increase I have killed 6 Coues bucks and three in the last 6 years hunting every other year.           my best,  Paul

You da man Paul!

On 2/10/2021 at 1:01 AM, paul navarre said:

We here in Colorado have seen this exact increase of bow hunters after elk.   WE how have 43,000 bow hunters during the elk season and the splits is 49 % non resident and 51% residents.  A huge increase since I first hunted elk in Colorado as a non resident in 1988 when there were only 27,000 bow elk hunter then.   At least 80% of the elk units are OTC.  There is no doubt that at some trailheads, crowding can be an issue and we have suggested to the Commission to reduce NR licenses to draw only, but that has not happen.   Will it happen in the future?   Hard to tell. png to ico

Looks good to me! Congrats.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:55 AM, Speedy said:

Covid has increased deer hunting license sales everywhere, even in WI where we just reversed a decline trend. So while they are going up it's not clear how much or how long that will continue once we get past this pandemic.  I also can't wait for it to be over so all the urban campers and hikers go back to the malls and coffee shops.  Not easy finding a camping spot or parking at trailheads either. 

It is pretty ridiculous in some units. On my elk hunt one day we had some guy in short shorts walking down the trail with his dog blowing his bugle tube every minute. Shut the elk up quick that’s for sure