PRDATR

1st Owner Looking to buy a new 4 Wheeler

Since you are doing your homework by asking the question on here, try this. Go onto Craigslist and OfferUp. Search used 4x4 quads. The limited availability of Honda's versus others should be a clear indication of ownership retention. And it's been that way for quite awhile. I say this because I have been "shopping" for some time now. When available, the Hondas are usually sold within a day or two.

I have had a Ranger for 5 years, and it was ok...gave me trouble on little things, mostly electrical.  Recently got a Honda Pioneer 1000 because a friend of mine has one and has had 0 problems in the same time period.  Too early to tell, but I’m expecting a trouble free machine.

The problem I had with a Polaris is a weak front end.  We were at the dunes playing around with a Trailblazer and hit something mildly hard.  Well it broke the suspension.  Here are side by side pics of a 2001 Honda and Polaris.  It’s easy to see the Polaris has only one A arm and an obviously weak front end.  After that, I have a hard time believing in them.

32AEA14F-DFCA-4301-86CC-DC13A39E973B.jpeg

12945D5B-3B21-4ED9-828A-B56997CB0553.jpeg

Thanks for all the input. I am going to get a new one and probably a trailer too. It will be used mostly for hunting at this point but I will probably do some trail riding and figure my son will probably get some use out of it too.

I wish everything I buy was as reliable as the Honda Foreman I bought new in 2003 !! Still starts up like the day I bought it and plows snow like a small pickup truck and will go anywhere. Regular maintenance, one battery and tires is all I’ve ever had to do to it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I’ve got a rancher, foreman and a pioneer. I love the two quads, I wouldn’t buy another Honda side by side though.  (Although I’ve heard they addressed a lot of the problems the 700 had with the 1000.). If I were to buy a new side by side I’d get a gator 835r with cab/heat/ac.  A buddy has one and it’s awesome.  

How 4 wheel drive capable are the new ones? I remember driving the old ones and they weren't very capable off road machines as for as four wheeling.

16 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I’ve got a rancher, foreman and a pioneer. I love the two quads, I wouldn’t buy another Honda side by side though.  (Although I’ve heard they addressed a lot of the problems the 700 had with the 1000.). If I were to buy a new side by side I’d get a gator 835r with cab/heat/ac.  A buddy has one and it’s awesome.  

How 4 wheel drive capable are the new ones? I remember driving the old ones and they weren't very capable off road machines as for as four wheeling.

Been a Honda or Yamaha guy for 30 years now with quads and side by sides.   I have truly lost track of how many Polaris owners I have towed back to camp or had to give a ride to.  Lots of friends and family have owned polaris over the years and so many of them have had issues.  When they run, they're great but it REALLY SUCKS when your machine fails to get you to your hunting spot or worse yet you can't get back out!

Surprised to hear all of the bad experiences with Polaris on here. In my hunting party, there are 4 Sportsman X2s (all are approaching 15 years old and running great), a 2010 Ranger 400 (my mom won with a $20 raffle ticket) and it is indestructible, a 2015 (I think) Razr, and a General that is a year old and jury is still out... no problems yet. Apparently we have been pretty lucky! Lol. I'd recommend Polaris. Most of them were bought at the Four Seasons Motorsports in Rye and they smoked the pricing of other dealers. Maybe check them out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HyNoon said:

My 700 pioneer sucks.  3 speed gear transmission so it’s looking for a gear a lot of the time.  No low range which really sucks for steep up or down hill.  I wouldn’t buy one.  Does what I need on the farm here in ND but wouldn’t be my first choice for mountain riding.  

Depends what you will be using it for.. hunting? Anything reliable is good. Honda Polaris Yamaha. Racing? Sand dunes? Yamaha all the way. I am referring to quads and dirt bikes when I say this. Cant say for side by sides. Never owned one. 

41 minutes ago, Mountain said:

Depends what you will be using it for.. hunting? Anything reliable is good. Honda Polaris Yamaha. Racing? Sand dunes? Yamaha all the way. I am referring to quads and dirt bikes when I say this. Cant say for side by sides. Never owned one. 

Hunting

3 hours ago, bigbuckclub said:

Surprised to hear all of the bad experiences with Polaris on here. In my hunting party, there are 4 Sportsman X2s (all are approaching 15 years old and running great), a 2010 Ranger 400 (my mom won with a $20 raffle ticket) and it is indestructible, a 2015 (I think) Razr, and a General that is a year old and jury is still out... no problems yet. Apparently we have been pretty lucky! Lol. I'd recommend Polaris. Most of them were bought at the Four Seasons Motorsports in Rye and they smoked the pricing of other dealers. Maybe check them out. 

Thanks but I definitley want a Honda.

• Like 1

I have owned Yamaha Viking 700 and Honda Pioneer 1000 for SxS.  Both great.  But Honda was my favorite, by far.

Currently own Yamaha Kodiak 700 quad and an old (2000) Honda Rancher.  Rancher still runs like new, but the Kodiak is waaaay better comfortwise.  

Coincidently, the motor from the Viking is the same as the Kodiak!  Pretty bulletproof.

• Like 1