I solved the annealing problem a few years back.    I buy new Nosler brass and only shoot it once.   I realize that it has a few draw backs but I like to just put a primer in the pocket, send a mandrel down the neck (adjust neck tension) and load it with powder.   I've had really, really good luck with it and don't spend hours pulling a handle.    My accuracy has been great out to 1000 yards with a great water line.   

That doesn’t work so great for guys shooting 100 or more rounds a month and a lot more. We went through a stint where we were buying bulk 223 and reloading ounce fired due to shooting 1000 rounds a week between us. 

21 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

That doesn’t work so great for guys shooting 100 or more rounds a month and a lot more. We went through a stint where we were buying bulk 223 and reloading ounce fired due to shooting 1000 rounds a week between us. 

If you are shooting that caliber and round count I'm guessing you don't need the accuracy that annealing will create.   If guys are only going to shoot 300 yards and under there really isn't much reason to anneal brass.    Annealing brass really helps with neck tension which is super critical in long range accuracy.   

3 hours ago, recurveman said:

If you are shooting that caliber and round count I'm guessing you don't need the accuracy that annealing will create.   If guys are only going to shoot 300 yards and under there really isn't much reason to anneal brass.    Annealing brass really helps with neck tension which is super critical in long range accuracy.   

I think he was referring to the statement "I buy new Nosler brass and only shooting it once".

I guess people forget there are such things as bolt .223 guns. Haha

i only own one AR style weapon and it’s .308 

I got super lucky a while back and ran into some ex military guys shooting 3 gun practice and was able to buy ounce fired Norma brass for 100 bucks per 5 gallon bucket. They won’t answer my calls now for some reason. 

On 2/28/2021 at 7:52 PM, wellhead said:

So Broadhead, are you happy that you got the more expensive unit? I’m just curious since I’m more familiar with the annealz brand. 

I wasn’t thrilled with the price tag, and I looked at other options, but I sacrificed some other luxuries and took the plunge. All good things to report. Haven’t seen the video about the DIY version so I can’t speak to that, but I can tell you that up to this point I have analyzed eleven different variations of caliber and brand and annealed almost 1000 pieces of brass. If you can follow simple instructions you can anneal your brass in no time. It’s a bit tedious sitting there piece by piece but if that’s not the definition of a first world problem I don’t know what is. Handy device, especially if you shoot multiple calibers or brands of brass due to its simplicity and if you can split the cost with one or two others its definitely the way to go. Once I started using it, my ES dropped and accuracy improved across each rifle. Those weird fliers disappeared too. 

• Like 4

On 3/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, Dano562 said:

Have to pick up a plug tomorrow and install and then we will be annealing!!!

20210324_191156.jpg

Let me know how you like it. I ran my first batch with map gas and a deep socket. Seemed to come out well, but can see how it could be inconsistent 

1 hour ago, Eastcoast'n AZ said:

Let me know how you like it. I ran my first batch with map gas and a deep socket. Seemed to come out well, but can see how it could be inconsistent 

I ran a batch of about 150 .308 for my brother. So far I love I love it. Gonna run a batch of 300wm after I find 1lb of varget for my brother's 308 and get them loaded.