Sign in to follow this  
BowhunterAZ

Kifaru vs mystery ranch vs stone glacier vs Kuiu

Please give me your votes on which expedition style packs you’ve had good luck with for an 8 day backpack hunt.

Exo packs.  Bomber but heavy are kifaru and mystery ranch.  SG makes great packs and balamce weight vs toughness.  Not a fan of kuiu packs.

Kifaru cavern or crater. 

ive done 5 days out of a reckoning and it’s not big enough. I had 1/3 of my thing lashed to the outside like a hobo. 

FWIW, I did a 7 day Colorado elk hunt out of a kifaru reckoning.  The kicker was, we had horses on stand by for the packout.  

I also did 8 days in Alaska on a caribou hunt with the same reckoning pack.  I had to strap a 55 litre dry bag to the outside of it to get all my gear out there.  That was not including a tent.  The tent was completely seperate and weighed around 30lbs.  

I own a bunch of different Kifaru bags and each has their place in my opinion.  My main bag for deer season is the 44mag.  Can fit a full mule deer in it and still have enough room for a day or 2 hunt.  I use the 22mag often for quick day trips or cargo panel if im going minimalist.  Thats the cool thing about Kifaru. Its A la carte with endless combos.  

• Like 1

IMO Kifaru and Stone Glacier are in a different league than Kuiu and Mystery Ranch.  USA vs Vietnam or Phillipines. Kifaru suspension is proven for hauling as heavy as you can manage with relative comfort.

• Like 1

Whichever you choose, I highly recommend checking out Rokslide.com's classifieds.  Great deals to be had and a backpack is a backpack is a backpack. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I highly recommend checking out Rokslide.com's classifieds.  

+1

• Like 1

I've done 7 days in Colorado in a mystery ranch bear tooth. Worked just fine. 

• Like 1

I bought my frame new from Kifaru, but I found a brand new Fulcrum bag on rokslide for $290 shipped. The owner bought three bags then  filled each one with his backpacking gear and sold the ones he didnt like.

I like the Fulcrum it works great as a day pack or for a 10 day hunt, all the reviews are spot on. The bag was only about 320 + shipping when I bought mine, they have gone up since but I see the for sale all the time. Since hunting season is over you will see plenty of them for sale on rokslide.

https://kifaru.net/store/packs/expedition-packs/fulcrum-bag-only/

• Like 1