Sign in to follow this  
HEADACHE

Archery Kaibab Question

Not asking for a honey hole or anything. But if you want to pm one to me that would be stellar.

My question is, Archery season vs. Rifle season, Am I likely to find bucks in different areas? I got a beautiful Archery tag that starts the 22nd and want a tip or clue as to where to hunt them. I have talked to a few people and so far they have told me the same spots as I hunted during rifle season.

Are they going to be in the same "type" areas as they were in rifle season, or are they liable to be in "other type" places, terrains etc. . .

I have only hunted Kaibab one other time, (last year when I got my 171 " buck) so I don't really "know the Bab" just yet. I have done lots of reading up on various sites etc, but can't seem to find this out. I understand this herd migrates north and south in and out of Utah.

Thanks guys for any help. This forum rocks!

Are you concentrating on 12AE or 12AW? What side were you on last year?

Last year I hunted East side, but I am open to anything for sure.

I have only hunted the Bab with OTC archery tags in Sept. It's my understanding that during the rifle season you should hunt off the sides of the Plateau. But during warmer parts of the year like your archery hunt most deer will be on the top of the plateau. And yes, that herd does migrate into and out of Utah.

Good luck on your hunt!!

I have only hunted the Bab with OTC archery tags in Sept. It's my understanding that during the rifle season you should hunt off the sides of the Plateau. But during warmer parts of the year like your archery hunt most deer will be on the top of the plateau. And yes, that herd does migrate into and out of Utah.

Good luck on your hunt!!

Exactly, thanks!

Headache,

During the archery hunt the deer will be summering at the higher elevations typically which would be the top of the plateau east and west of highway 67. That's not to say that some of the deer are not lower on the plateau where you might typically look during a rifle hunt but they will be at a lower density. The 2006 warm fire burned 58,000 acres right up the middle of 12A and is producing a lot of great feed for the deer - but will probably also attract a lot of other bowhunters IMO. But at least there's only 1,000 archers compared to 3-4,000 in years past. Deer will be feeding on that nice green grass as well as Lupine which is a small flowering plant. The rep at the North K'bab ranger district says they've had good rain all summer so the deer a spread out all over. Even during the rifle hunts, if the snow hasn't come in hard, the deer will still be mostly pretty high on the plateau. You can really go almost anywhere up top and find deer during the archery hunt - not that its easy by any means. I'd try and find an isolated/unpressured waterhole and focus in and around that area. Always have a plan a, b and c spot though just incase you run into other hunters with the same idea as you. Tree stands and ground blinds off of water can be productive if your patient, and still hunting super slow and glassing (even in the thick stuff) with the wind in your face trying to catch deer moving to feeding/bedding areas or shifting beds. In early - out late and you should bump into deer. Don't forget your Kaibab Stamp and a turkey tag - you'll have good odds of bumping to some birds too!

I was just up there Friday and today. There is a blind / tree stand on every friggen puddle of water in the unit. I'm not exaggerating either. One blind had a note on it that read, "If I catch you near this blind, they will never find your body". :huh:

It rained both days. I would not hunt water unless it dries out in the next two weeks. There is standing water everywhere. The deer are spread out. There is a abundant amount of feed up top. Lot's of logging going on in the burn. Chain saws and log pickers everywhere.

Welcome to the site K hunter.

Thanks! Been lurking for a few years now and decided to join.

I think this year on the K'bab will be a little different than previous bowhunts. Sounds like old tactics may be out the window. Too much water is rarely the problem up there and I definitely believe that every hole has a stand/blind on it - some things never change. Maybe this is the year of the still hunter/spot and stalker. It's one thing to let them come to you, it's another thing to go out and get em. Can't wait to see what happens with this new approach to the archery hunt.

Thanks for the great info Kaibabhunter. . . I don't think I have the patience to sit water, I bought a nice treestand three years ago, have never even put it up ha ha.

I am super excited for sure.

Thanks for the great info Kaibabhunter. . . I don't think I have the patience to sit water, I bought a nice treestand three years ago, have never even put it up ha ha.

I am super excited for sure.

I'll be up there aug 25th thru 31st. Pm me for more info.

If you can find area that has Lupine AND buckbrush on top of smaller ridges without spur roads on it, you'll find deer.