elkhunter

Plant identification

Trying to find out the name of this plant- grows in Southern Arizona high desert areas with limestone pockets. It’s the green shrub behind my back in the picture.A9C405DE-D3D0-4AC3-B6EF-CE1978970576.thumb.jpeg.d6be04c4776cf2bf1f351d4095b930c4.jpeg9AB9DD3A-190D-485A-B2B8-8C04CDA09D95.thumb.jpeg.30b9bcb1312e4c34ef1f733bba47868b.jpeg

Wow, nice buck!!

5 minutes ago, Old Buck said:

It looks like sandpaper bush Mortoria scabrella.  It is an indicator species of the chihuanhuan desert.  Nice buck!

That's it! thanks! 

1 minute ago, creed_az_88 said:

I've wondered what it is a bunch too. Closest thing I have seen on Google is saltbush.

I thought you had posted something regarding this plant in the past but I couldn't find the thread so I started this guy up. I helped out a student of mine on his HAM hunt out your direction and it was loaded with these sand paper brush. Glad I finally know what they are, I've ignored them for 24 years and just now realized I don't know what the heck they are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elkhunter said:

I thought you had posted something regarding this plant in the past but I couldn't find the thread so I started this guy up. I helped out a student of mine on his HAM hunt out your direction and it was loaded with these sand paper brush. Glad I finally know what they are, I've ignored them for 24 years and just now realized I don't know what the heck they are.

My posts may have been regarding mountain mahogany which is different.  But I have for years never been able to I.d. the Bush in your pictures because there is tons of it around me like you said. Salt bush and sand paper bush both seem similar enough that it is likely a variation of one or the other. Deer seem to like living around it but I don't think they like eating near as much as they like eating mountain mahogany. 

17 minutes ago, creed_az_88 said:

My posts may have been regarding mountain mahogany which is different.  But I have for years never been able to I.d. the Bush in your pictures because there is tons of it around me like you said. Salt bush and sand paper bush both seem similar enough that it is likely a variation of one or the other. Deer seem to like living around it but I don't think they like eating near as much as they like eating mountain mahogany. 

Yeah you're right deer will live around it but never have I seen them eat it, I think it's more for protection/security. Mountain mohogany is king