Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

1st time ever filling some tags

For the past 9 yrs I’ve been tasked to help, guide & mentor my good buddy’s (2) sons who live in Yuma who make the trip out to Tucson every year to hunt javelina. They both have had shots in the past and missed, but this year was “the year”. Friday was a bust, saw some just couldn’t seal the deal. Saturday got out early and started glassing the flats. Within minutes I hear the clacking/chattering of two pigs fighting just around the way. I tell the boys to start glassing this hillside and to pick apart the mountain since it was covered in large volcanic black rocks. As soon as I put my glasses up I see a “pig pile “, now I’ve seen videos and people talk about these, but never ever in the wild. I tell them, hey look beneath this Palo Verde tree, look at all the pigs sleeping. They unfortunately can’t find the pile, but do locate 5 pigs just standing broadside 10 yds away to the left. They get excited and line up for a 100 yd shot. I inform them once the 1st shot goes down range the pigs are going to scatter. Well Ty let’s one rip and it drops, well sure enough the pig pile erupts and pigs are running in every direction. I’m patiently waiting for Jake to shoot and commenting while laughing on how pigs are everywhere. I tell Jake 3 pigs are headed right at us, they come trotting by at 30 yds. Jake shoots and pig goes down. At this time 3 more are headed right at us again, I take aim and drop mine. Complete and udder pig madness. Had a fun time teaching them on how to gut em. The questions like,  am I doing it right? How far do I insert my knife? Is this edible? Does this get cut out or does it stay? We took some pics and forwarded to their dad, he was stoked and couldn’t believe both his boys tagged out. We had 10 tags and 6 pigs taken from 3 different herds. Can’t wait till next year to relive the stories around the campfire!!!!

577B0676-7B4C-4DDF-8742-4BDF8BDE5FCE.jpeg

C17E9AD0-D13C-4BBF-B349-F54CA06C6EF0.jpeg

• Like 9

a Pile of pigs is always cool to watch unload!