Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Best tires for diesel trucks

Looks like I'm gonna need a set of tires for my Ram 3500.

I know a lot of you have dealt with this numerous times.

Its got stock highway tires now, with 30,000 on them .

Probably upgrade to an all terrain. 

Open for suggestions.  

I run Tko bf goodrich on my 1500, always get 45k to 50k. Can I expect that on a big ram?

It doesn’t matter what tires you put on. Even the worst AT tire will outlast the Dodge. 

I have had really good luck with the Michelin defenders but all I do is tow with my diesel and I use my half ton for off-road. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

***NOT the Cooper Discoverer***

I just, yesterday replaced my 3rd out of a set due to tread separation. 

The good news is, I now have 4 tires all with less than 1500 miles, at the cost of $144

If you get BFG AT's make sure to get the DT compound version. It is designed for the heavier diesels because the normal AT compound is softer and wears out too fast on the heavy trucks. 

I have them on my truck now. I am not sure what the final thread life will be, but they are doing ok so far. 

I didn't like the Toyo AT's I had before. They were noticeably worse on ice and snow and tread life wasn't awesome. They were quieter though.

• Like 1

I've been running bfg at on my f250. They are good tires but it's annoying how many rocks they pick up and throw when they are new.  

• Like 2

I’ve run BFG ATs on mine and right now have Open Country AT. Pretty pleased with both but I think I prefer the Open Country. 3 years and about 35k miles on them mostly in town and highway towing with some simple off-road hunting mixed in. They’ve got some good life left for road/towing but I’ll probably replace them before fall hunts. 

Running Terra Grapplers on my 2500 and I am not very pleased with them. Had to have 3 of them replaced due to tread separation and mfg would only warranty 2 of the 3. Discount covered the third. Treads are losing chunks quicker than I prefer too. Mostly driving gravel roads when not in the city. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

I've been running bfg at on my f250. They are good tires but it's annoying how many rocks they pick up and throw when they are new.  

I was just going to say the same thing. I put these on and first trip out peppered the crap out of my trailer. Took them off and went back to Michelin LTX AT2. Just a bit more tread then highway, but not nearly an AT. All I do is pull with this truck though. 

12 minutes ago, CJNAZ said:

Running Terra Grapplers on my 2500 and I am not very pleased with them. Had to have 3 of them replaced due to tread separation and mfg would only warranty 2 of the 3. Discount covered the third. Treads are losing chunks quicker than I prefer too. Mostly driving gravel roads when not in the city. 

My first set or two of tires on my truck were Terra Graplers, with 18" wheels. I rotated the hellll out of them when I was single and they lasted forever.

Went back to factory wheels, many more options with a 17" wheel. IF I can ever get my current set to wear out, I will be switching from the Coopers.

3 hours ago, BowhunterAZ said:

It doesn’t matter what tires you put on. Even the worst AT tire will outlast the Dodge. 

I have had really good luck with the Michelin defenders but all I do is tow with my diesel and I use my half ton for off-road. 

315k on a 2010 Ram 2500...only replaced tranny.  I’m pretty sure your statement is wrong

I bought my F250 Diesel in February of 2000 and have had most brands of tires over the last 306K miles. The Nittos out wore the BFG's and the TOYO's. BFG's got flat spots at about 40K and were close to being wore out. The TOYO's got better MPG's than the Nittos but wore a bit faster, I took them off at 36K as the truck was getting squirrely with them. I was getting almost 50K on the Nittos but they are softer than the TOYO's and tend to chunk a bit when spinning the tires climbing rough stuff offroad.

About 2 years ago I picked up a set of Falken Wilpeat AT's from a guy stationed at Davis Monthan that maybe had 5K on them for $550 with rims as he wanted something bigger than stock. Since then I have probably put maybe 7K on them and they still look like when I bought them. They handle great on the highway and offroad and they are quiet. Pretty impressed with them.

37 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

Hankins RFO 10 semi all terrain I’ve been using them since 2002 on 2 different trucks both 4x4 and have gotten 85k out of them. They are also a 10 ply E rated tire 

I'm sure you ment Hankook.

I have a 2500 mega cab that continually tore up Nittos.  I’m on my second set of Toyo RT’s and Toyo has my business.  The last set went around 40,000 miles before I swapped them.