Sign in to follow this  
bowhunter-tw

Coyote gun Scope suggestions

Im in process of building a 16” ar specifically for predator calling, im thinking a 1-10 or 2-12 power range for an optic, maybe a 44 objective at the largest. Any suggestions as to scopes? Looking to stay more on the budget end

Just put one of the cheapy 3-9 power scopes on my wife's that came with my old savage 30-06.  I'm thinking the 3x will be good and zoom in if needed. We will see though....

Just now, CatfishKev said:

Just put one of the cheapy 3-9 power scopes on my wife's that came with my old savage 30-06.  I'm thinking the 3x will be good and zoom in if needed. We will see though....

What he said.  3-9 should be plenty of range for coyote hunting.  On a budget, I like Burris FF IIs and second hand Bushnell 3200/4200s.  If you have the coin and can find one, the SWFA 3-9X40HD is a fantastic scope in that price range. 

Been there dont that 40mm objective to small for close quick shooting. or just open sites. Did try a leupold 4.5x14x 50 with 30mm tube it was better than a 1" tube and 40mm objective,

the perfect set up is a reflex or red dot on a ar. the burris reflex type sight is a really good one.

I mean I've never had a problem killing coyotes inside 10 yards or so with the scope set at the minimum setting. Although for close quarters I do prefer the shotty.

• Like 1

I have and havent, for me hard to spot them running inside a scope inside a brushy river bottom/ wash even at 3x but with a reflex there easy to follow as well as a red do. open sights is a givin

46 minutes ago, Delw said:

I have and havent, for me hard to spot them running inside a scope inside a brushy river bottom/ wash even at 3x but with a reflex there easy to follow as well as a red do. open sights is a givin

Yeah I can see thick cover being a  challenge for sure. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

For coyotes, What is the practical max distance for something like a 2moa red dot? 

no such thing as practical max distance. its about how far you can shoot accurately.

13 hours ago, res7borg said:

Is a cabellas 1x4 good to use or should i return it and get a stronger one for my ar?

Should be fine as most shots are less than 50 yards.