Sign in to follow this  
Eli

Shock gobble year round?

I’m newer to turkey hunting and am still learning a lot......

So what is the earliest in the year turkeys will shock gobble? Will they in Mid March? Have a youth and 2nd hunt tag in 23 and will be in the area then. Wanted to narrow down some areas but wasn’t sure if that would even be beneficial that early.

im sure the answer will be “some will” but figured I’d ask . 

Thanks in advance 

I bet that was pretty cool. Thank you for the info. I was thinking about doing a little coyote calling that trip too actually!

Just depends, it’s like the rut for them. Once they start going you can shock gobble them all you want. But it’s not year round. 

I've had a different perspective.  I've heard them gobble year round, including shock gobbling.  Shock gobbling is less about breeding and more a natural reaction to noises, in general.

• Like 1

Just now, My Rights As An American said:

The turkeys i have hunted shock gobble in the spring only. But the cougars in Scottsdale gobble year round. 

Same here, they will gobble all year long but shock gobble just during the spring. You just need to scout the area to see how it’s “kicking off” when they are in full swing it’s nuts, but I have observed it’s different in every area. Some start early, some start late. 

2 minutes ago, Vowell said:

Same here, they will gobble all year long but shock gobble just during the spring. You just need to scout the area to see how it’s “kicking off” when they are in full swing it’s nuts, but I have observed it’s different in every area. Some start early, some start late. 

turkeys or cougars?

• Haha 1

What’s the earliest in the Am and latest after sundown you guys have had a shock gobble response.

from my experience they only answer in a small 15-20 minute window before pitch black but I never get a response in the Am 

13 minutes ago, 5nRamirez said:

What’s the earliest in the Am and latest after sundown you guys have had a shock gobble response.

from my experience they only answer in a small 15-20 minute window before pitch black but I never get a response in the Am 

I usually get my first gobbles around 5am which is like 20 minutes before light, but it wouldn't surprise me if they gobbled earlier. The latest that I've gotten a gobble in the evening is like 10 minutes after dark, but most of the time I hear them 30 minutes or less before dark.

• Like 1