bonecollector

Tick Tock

12 tags in 15 years. Only one not drawn. The others i didnt put in. Poverty tags yes. 2 bull tags. One rifle one archery. To put things in perspective. My first elk tag was in unit 10 with 150 ish tags for cow. 

Wish I had the luck you guys do.  My first year applying for Arizona elk was 1986!  I drew a bull tag that year.  I drew Archery Cow in 1999,  rifle cow in 2010 and late Rifle Bull in 2020.  I apply every year and have only received 4 tags in 34 years! At least I am 50/50 cow bull and 100% success rate. I have still never had an antelope tag in Arizona but have only been applying since 2010 for them.  I am still hopefull we will draw tags this year...but the suspense is killing me!

3 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Happens all the time when you have BS bogus points, points should be squared like Nevada. 

No thanks. It’s already tough enough for for a new hunter to ever have a shot at these high value hunts. Why would we want to make it more difficult for them?

I’m not for making rules to further tilt the scales for old dudes who already have way more opportunity in their rear view that most kids will ever achieve in their lives.

• Like 4

On 3/1/2021 at 8:33 AM, bigorange said:

And it will all happen ahead of the published April 2 deadline for tags to be mailed out...

And then there is always this guy....lol

19 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

No thanks. It’s already tough enough for for a new hunter to ever have a shot at these high value hunts. Why would we want to make it more difficult for them?

I’m not for making rules to further tilt the scales for old dudes who already have way more opportunity in their rear view that most kids will ever achieve in their lives.

“Already tough enough.....” the guy with 20 BP for antelope and the guy with 2 BP basically have the same chance of drawing if they apply for the same hunt. I know it’s an unpopular opinion among a lot of hunters, but the guy with 20 point should have a more weighted advantage in drawing that tag...just my opinion. 

• Like 4

Points should be phased out all together

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Why do new hunters need/deserve high value hunts? 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, aspenband said:

Wish I had the luck you guys do.  My first year applying for Arizona elk was 1986!  I drew a bull tag that year.  I drew Archery Cow in 1999,  rifle cow in 2010 and late Rifle Bull in 2020.  I apply every year and have only received 4 tags in 34 years! At least I am 50/50 cow bull and 100% success rate. I have still never had an antelope tag in Arizona but have only been applying since 2010 for them.  I am still hopefull we will draw tags this year...but the suspense is killing me!

If you start putting a cow tag as a second choice you'll get drawn every 3 or 4 years at most...every 4 to 6 years if you put some of the late bull tags as a second choice.  Your 3rd, 4th, and 5th choices really don't matter when it comes to elk because only a handful of undesirable LO tags ever make it that far...and in some years even those don't make it to that round.

If I were king, I'd get rid of bogus points and have one app, one chance.  Even the field for all.  Since there are soooo many people trying for such limited tags, if you get drawn, you sit out the next year.  Ok, start with the insults, lol.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, 1uglydude said:

If you start putting a cow tag as a second choice you'll get drawn every 3 or 4 years at most...every 4 to 6 years if you put some of the late bull tags as a second choice.  Your 3rd, 4th, and 5th choices really don't matter when it comes to elk because only a handful of undesirable LO tags ever make it that far...and in some years even those don't make it to that round.

I actually do apply for cow hunts every year.  First choice 27 Bull, second choice 27 cow, on the years they have the 2nd cow hunt I add that as my third choice.  Never a deviation on my part.

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Why do new hunters need/deserve high value hunts? 

Why does anyone else deserve a high value hunt?