MULEPACKHUNTER

18,000 new elk apps

There goes draw odds, not that they were great but wow. 18,000 uptick in elk and pronghorn applications. maybe that extra 230,000 grand can go towards hunter ed problem.

• Like 3

I guess it's a dual edge sword when we as hunters gain in numbers to help fight to keep our rights to hunt (and own weapons).  Having said that , it kinda takes the wind out of your sails when you see the odds  get even worse to successfully draw a tag.  SMH.  

• Like 1

For me, it just seems like the way of things in AZ.  18,000 more applicants for elk/pronghorn, 1000's more campers in the woods/desert, side-by-sides all over the place, road paved all the way to Big Lake, etc...   

For sure, 18,000 is a large increase, but given the total number of applicants each year and the total bonus points in the pool, I don't feel like statistically it will make a hugely significant impact to the odds of the vast majority of the hunts (Of course the proof will be in the pudding when the 2021 draw odds are published later in the year.).  

I know I have seen the  total number of applicants year over year posted here recently, (Likely Flatlander posted....), but what would really interest me would be the total bonus points, which I feel would give a truer picture of how much an additional 18,000 applicants (theoretically, each with NO bonus points) would impact the odds.

S.

Just means game and fish will put more tags in the units.  Now have to wait 15 yrs for a decent tag instead of 10

An additional 1.3 million people in AZ by 2030.

35 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

If I had to guess I would say 80 percent of the new applicants are Non Res 

U can thank instagram, facebook, podcasts, for all that.  Outfitters pushing hard to nr. $$$$

• Like 6

Since were all just talking about random stuff while we wait for draw results I have one.  How about no more OTC deer tags for any NR's?  Make everything a draw for them.  offer a few tags for each OTC unit or divide the state up into something like 10 zones and each zone has 3-4 units.  do something like 50-75 NR tags per zone.  Just thinking out of the box.

• Like 4

Thought about a unit specific OTC tag buy set up, maybe with a cap on both res and non res. You could still buy multiple units like say 3 units per hunter. At the least it would give the biologists good data on how many hunters bought what units. The cap is the issues,,, where do you set it???? I would hate to see the opportunity go down but its coming no matter what. The population is just growing so fast.

• Like 1

Let the non-residents apply. They still have a max cap, and won't do anything other than give more money to AZGFD. hopefully they use the extra money for something good. 

• Like 3

Have to believe that at least some of the 18,000 new applications is related to the flood of people that moved to AZ in 2020.  Probably some of those 18,000 were NR that did not put in in 2020 and then became R in 2020 and put in for 2021 draw.

7 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

Let the non-residents apply. They still have a max cap, and won't do anything other than give more money to AZGFD. hopefully they use the extra money for something good. 

Like try to better the draw system again? I hope not 

• Like 1