MULEPACKHUNTER

18,000 new elk apps

8 minutes ago, stanley said:

The Hunter Ed idea is not a bad one.  Double win of likely weeding-out any non-hunters, but also frankly just helping with the average yayhoo being a little more safe. ;)

Regarding folks not putting their money where their mouth is, I say a BIG +1 to that!!!   IMO it applies as much to those who vote for Republicans, too.  If you have ever gone to a G&F meeting or gotten involved in any of the local hunting/fishing organizations, the level of apathy and/or non-action by hunters in general is pretty clear.  Even when there is a so called hot topic (like trail cams, for instance), the % of hunters who actually show-up to a meeting to comment is extraordinarily low.  Complaining online (or nowhere at all) is what the large majority of hunters do. 🙄

Yes I agree that it is a both sides of the aisle issue.  It's too easy these days to complaint until it's too late to take meaningful action.  That's why I would be shocked if the antis were actually applying for the draw, but it is still an interesting theory for the increase in applications this year.

I would say it is a very low percentage of people that put in for the draw for the sole purpose of drawing a tag to save wildlife.  They have to buy a license in order to apply and that money alone would help support the very thing they don't stand for. 

Here's another thought.  Sure, maybe there were 18,000 more applications this year.  But AZGFD was clearly aware of that fact as of the deadline (February 9, 2021).  Maybe they are using the increase as an excuse for the delay, even though it might not be the actual reason .  We all know there have been many issues with the application/draw process this year.  It would not surprise me at all if it turns out there are significant underlying issues at play that are unrelated to the additional 18,000.

It doesn't help when the you tube guys from out of state blast how to put in for az and how our whole system works. Also the way they blast all over your tube about our otc archery deer tags. Honestly they should put a cap on the NR otc archery deer tags but then that would mean azgfd would lose money so that will never happen. Just my opinion. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

G&F has not accepted paper application for a couple years now so there is no manual entry of applications by the department anymore.  Adding 18K more applicants should have nothing to do with slowing down the draw as long as the database was large enough to store the data.  The delay has something to do with the integrity of the draw.  I am guessing they are manually going through each hunt number, the drawn applicants list, looking at their random application # and then comparing if they should have actually drawn.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

Here's another thought.  Sure, maybe there were 18,000 more applications this year.  But AZGFD was clearly aware of that fact as of the deadline (February 9, 2021).  Maybe they are using the increase as an excuse for the delay, even though it might not be the actual reason .  We all know there have been many issues with the application/draw process this year.  It would not surprise me at all if it turns out there are significant underlying issues at play that are unrelated to the additional 18,000.

Drawing ACCEPTANCE DATES1 DEADLINE DATES2 HUNT Applications accepted on or after: ONLINE APPLICATIONS: Deadline 11:59 p.m. (Arizona time): Hunt permit-tags mailed out by: Pronghorn (See note 1) Feb. 9, 2021 April 2, 2021 Elk (See note 1) Feb. 9, 2021 April 2, 2021

Unless the tags aren't mailed out by April 2, 2021 where's the delay.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

By the way, I support the department 100% for the delay if they are trying to make sure this is an honest and accurate draw process.  This is not a good time just to say "close enough".  So if they are reading my comments, please take your time and get it right the first time.                                                        then send me an elk & antelope tag

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, knothead said:

G&F has not accepted paper application for a couple years now so there is no manual entry of applications by the department anymore.  Adding 18K more applicants should have nothing to do with slowing down the draw as long as the database was large enough to store the data.  The delay has something to do with the integrity of the draw.  I am guessing they are manually going through each hunt number, the drawn applicants list, looking at their random application # and then comparing if they should have actually drawn.

Agreed.  Everyone had to put in online. So that many extra apps should not matter. They were upgrading portal information etc to there new system. I question the accuracy and integrity of this draw too. But my Antelope app shows in my portal so I think they should just give me a tag 🤣

11 minutes ago, 654321 said:

Drawing ACCEPTANCE DATES1 DEADLINE DATES2 HUNT Applications accepted on or after: ONLINE APPLICATIONS: Deadline 11:59 p.m. (Arizona time): Hunt permit-tags mailed out by: Pronghorn (See note 1) Feb. 9, 2021 April 2, 2021 Elk (See note 1) Feb. 9, 2021 April 2, 2021

Unless the tags aren't mailed out by April 2, 2021 where's the delay.

You're conflating the issues here.  Nobody is concerned about a delay in mailing tags or arguing they won't mail tags by April 2, 2021.  I'm saying the delay is in conducting the draw itself.  It has been the customary practice of AZGFD to hit cards the day following the deadline to update card information.  That means they usually begin the draw right after the credit card deadline.  They clearly did not do this this year (for whatever reason).

• Like 1

Just now, Ohthatguy said:

Exactly this. 

See my post below.  It's not a delay in mailing the tags (at this point no one gives AF about mailing the tags).  It's clearly a delay in AZGFD conducting the draw.  And hey, maybe this is the new normal.  Maybe the days of updating the cards being a signifier of when they conduct the draw is no longer a thing.  But it has been a thing for many years and it was clearly not a thing this year.

19 minutes ago, knothead said:

By the way, I support the department 100% for the delay if they are trying to make sure this is an honest and accurate draw process.  This is not a good time just to say "close enough".  So if they are reading my comments, please take your time and get it right the first time.                                                        then send me an elk & antelope tag

I agree.  If the delay in conducting the draw (as compared to past years being directly related to the credit card update deadline) is to make sure they get it right then I'm 100% okay with it.  But I don't think the extra 18,000 applications is a legitimate reason for the delay in conducting the draw.  If they told people they were delayed in conducting the draw because they wanted to ensure the legitimacy of the process then people would lose their shoot more than they already are.

• Like 1

170,000 people, hunting, money and animals...  Recipe for whining and complaining by a select few.  

34 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

If the delay in conducting the draw......

Who has said there has been a delay in the draw?   If they wait 2 weeks to ding cards and sort out that portion of it, so what?

Has it been delayed?  Maybe...  

• Like 1