MULEPACKHUNTER

18,000 new elk apps

Better question now days is how many people are successful in just finding a mature deer???

success rates are low because numbers of deer are low. 

Just now, dustin25 said:

What do you guys think archery success is on coues across the board?I’ve always figured 2-3% is probably not far off

Even if the success rate is about the same percentage as 20 years ago, a lot more deer are being taken in OTC hunts.  Way more NR hunters & resident bowhunters today than 20 years ago and we have considerably fewer deer today than 20-30 years ago.  Especially mule deer.

Personally, I believe the success rate is at least twice that amount especially for NR's.  Most NR's that come here are more dedicated to their hunt and hunt for a longer period of time.  Most the residents I know that bowhunt during winter only go out one or two weekends a year, if that.

I still remember the very first non-resident hunter I ever met in AZ.  It was 1996 in unit 6a during archery elk hunt.  He was hunting by himself, just killed a cow elk and was gutting it.  I thought is was odd that someone would come all that far just to hunt cow elk.

• Like 1

Just now, dustin25 said:

I think both our questions go hand in hand

What are those questions?

16 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Better question now days is how many people are successful in just finding a mature deer???

I do every year, big ones. I’m just not very good at getting them killed. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

What do you guys think archery success is on coues across the board?I’ve always figured 2-3% is probably not far off

I'd say much more. Lots of guys don't trophy hunt.  I'd guess between 10 and 20% once you factor in how many get mortally wounded and not recovered. 

30 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I do every year, big ones. I’m just not very good at getting them killed. 

hel nah. If this is the case. Hit your boy up. 

I can’t image 1 in 5 bow hunters kill a coues. Maybe out of hunters who know what they’re doing.... I’m thinking that once you throw everyone in the pot, I’d be willing to bet overall kill rate is under 5% pretty easily

I don't have data to back it up but I bet 15-20% of archery Coues hunters kill 90% of the deer. and again 80-90% of those are on salt or water.  Mandatory reporting is the only way we can get a grasp on what is really going on.  I wish they would have implemented it years ago. 

• Like 7