elkhutnaz

AZ is sad

10 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Meateater, like you mentioned who was able to roll that into purchasing first lite, FHF and Phelps game calls and now trying to acquire Weatherby. Backcountry Hunters and Anglers biggest donor is the Chernin Group as well. What are the major products you see being pimped out by the new age hunters? they all wear first lite and want to talk about attending BHA pint night, "harvesting" game and "conservationing".  The pages of their Meateater cookbook are stuck together like the pages on a kid's 1992 penthouse. 

I hate the word “harvest”.  I harvest corn, barley and field peas every year with a combine, my wife harvests tomatoes out of the garden.  I wish those guys would give the animal due respect and admit they killed the dang thing.  I take a lot of pride in eating everything we kill, we haven’t bought meat in 11 years with the exception of eating at restaurants, but if I go out and kill an animal to eat it, I “killed” it.  That’s taking everything from that animal, Inthink they deserve that respect Atleast.  If you wanna harvest the wool from a sheep or harvest the sheds off of animals that’s fine but man that work bothers me.  I know they do it to appease the softies with what they say.  My inlaws are all on the left coast and I am sure to use the word “kill” with them every time I talked to them about hunting.  As a matter of fact last weekend I was laker fishing and told them we “killed 4” of them when they asked how many we caught.  Figured the fish earned that respect too.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

I hate the word “harvest”.  I harvest corn, barley and field peas every year with a combine, my wife harvests tomatoes out of the garden.  I wish those guys would give the animal due respect and admit they killed the dang thing.  I take a lot of pride in eating everything we kill, we haven’t bought meat in 11 years with the exception of eating at restaurants, but if I go out and kill an animal to eat it, I “killed” it.  That’s taking everything from that animal, Inthink they deserve that respect Atleast

I also think it's funny and pretty stupid when people pat the animal on the head and say "thank you" to it after killing it.  Thank you? Really? Is it a way to deflect or share the act of killing it?  The animal didn't intentionally do anything to help you kill it and I'm pretty sure it wasn't part of their daily plan when they woke up that morning.  (Though sometimes it seems as though they do)   

Respect the animal 100% but a "thank you" just seems so very wrong to me. (Having said that, I think people mean it in a respectful way when they do it but c'mon, think about it) 

Thank you!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

I also think it's funny and pretty stupid when people pat the animal on the head and say "thank you" to it after killing it.  Thank you? Really? Is it a way to deflect or share the act of killing it?  The animal didn't intentionally do anything to help you kill it and I'm pretty sure it wasn't part of their daily plan when they woke up that morning.  (Though sometimes it seems as though they do)   

Respect the animal 100% but a "thank you" just seems so very wrong to me. (Having said that, I think people mean it in a respectful way when they do it but c'mon, think about it) 

Thank you!

Thank you, nice harvest 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The title of this topic is perfect. Perfectly representing continuous bashing everyone here seems to partake in over trivial things. Now we are debating what words others use for "taking" game? Or if someone tells a dead animal "thank you"? Who freaking cares! We all have our different tendencies, rituals, or habits and they are unique or personal. Ridiculing things like this just makes us all look bad. Please for the love of everything holly, go back to worrying about when the draw results are going to be out and stop the bitching.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, huntlines said:

The title of this topic is perfect. Perfectly representing continuous bashing everyone here seems to partake in over trivial things. Now we are debating what words others use for "taking" game? Or if someone tells a dead animal "thank you"? Who freaking cares! We all have our different tendencies, rituals, or habits and they are unique or personal. Ridiculing things like this just makes us all look bad. Please for the love of everything holly, go back to worrying about when the draw results are going to be out and stop the bitching.

Yes, lets not mention any opinions here, it's much better to just tell other people what to do.. 

I guess I should worry about the draw as you suggest. Sorry but I'm just not worried about it.  Guess I'll just keep bitching.. Oh wait, can't do that either.. Crap...  

2 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

Yes, lets not mention any opinions here, it's much better to just tell other people what to do.. 

I guess I should worry about the draw as you suggest. Sorry but I'm just not worried about it.  Guess I'll just keep bitching.. Oh wait, can't do that either.. Crap...  

I'm just curious why we as a hunting community are so intent on pointing fingers at others and saying "I don't like that". Especially on a public forum where we all have the same interest. We are one of the worst communities at tearing each other down for trivial things. Then when it comes to issues that really do matter, we tend to turn on each other like a pack or wild dogs. Opinions are one thing but when your opinion is self-righteous and condescending to others it becomes destructive and pointless.

But please, carry on. Bitching about stupid trivial things always makes everything naturally better.

5 hours ago, elkhutnaz said:

how can Utah turn its bear draw around in 8 days and other states have their chit together but we still can’t get it right?!?!

come on man

Because UT was smart enough to not hire the joker that created this mess.

1 minute ago, wapitibob said:

Because UT was smart enough to not hire the joker that created this mess.

So, they hired the joker to do their elk and deer draw?

20 minutes ago, huntlines said:

I'm just curious why we as a hunting community are so intent on pointing fingers at others and saying "I don't like that". Especially on a public forum where we all have the same interest. We are one of the worst communities at tearing each other down for trivial things. Then when it comes to issues that really do matter, we tend to turn on each other like a pack or wild dogs. Opinions are one thing but when your opinion is self-righteous and condescending to others it becomes destructive and pointless.

But please, carry on. Bitching about stupid trivial things always makes everything naturally better.

Interesting.. Someone voiced his thoughts and indicated how it bugged him. Nowhere did he say it was wrong or people need to change. Just seemed like a thought on a forum to me.

I expanded on it by adding my thoughts on the "thank you".. I have NEVER said anything about it to anyone when they do it in front of me as I get why they do it. I never said it was wrong for them to do, simply seemed wrong and doesn't make sense to me. 

Since you have appointed yourself to the position, please let me know what opinion I have voiced that makes you feel as you indicated above.

If it offended you, sorry, but not sorry..

9 minutes ago, wapitibob said:

The Joker can probably write code.

It takes UTAH 90 days to issue draw results and they do not even tell you how many tags are in each hunt.

What date were you promised AZ draw results?

I’ll say this...threads like this have made me look a little deeper into Meateater and especially BHA. I still listen to Meateater, but good to know where their support comes from. 

had no idea about BHA before a couple of these threads and I’ll never send them another cent. I really like my Public Land Owner shirt, but not sure I’ll ever wear it again with their huge logo on the back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joe hunter said:

Thing that gets me is NM puts them to shame on the elk draw and NM is usually lower than a snake in wheel rut on things, I know I live there. lol...

you know why? They don't have stupid bonus points.

And yeah NM is better, UT doesn’t sound any better. It’s all still better than paper...writing AZ a check that they’d cash and then refund a couple months later. Or reject your paper app because they claim you put 10/32 as your birthdate...happened to my buddy born on Halloween. Still rubs me wrong that they can’t charge CC up-front like they did on paper and eliminate all the issues with CC updates. 

not an apologist and not defending anything with the portholes...it’s not great. But until they don’t meet the deadline published in the regs I’m not going to complain. At least not about “delays” Not going to look at the porthole until after I get a CC hit either. 

• Like 3