loboscout

Trigger pull weight on long range hunting rifle?

4 to 8oz.  

No creep & crisp (to say the least). 

Even being used to shooting 7-8oz....4oz is really light.  Definitely no need to think "squeeze slowly".  Your pulse is too strong, and it sends it....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

4 to 8oz.  

Even being used to shooting 7-8oz....4oz is really light.  Definitely no need to think "squeeze slowly".  Your pulse is to strong and it sends it....

Dang! I ran mine light, but never that light! I pushed it back up so I could marry my finger to the trigger before sending it.

I run 1 ounce to 2 ounces on my competition rifle triggers but with my hunting rifles I'm not comfortable with anything less than 8oz. Bottom line is shoot what you're comfortable with and practice, practice, practice. Dry fire and check for any movement while pulling the trigger.  Use several pull weights and see how your groups are affected by each weight.

• Like 1

Wow, you two are really light. When I ran my triggers light, including PRS competitions, I got in the habit of tapping trying to time it, and it moved the rifle. 

I prefer positive control. It requires more effort to build an habit, but I can send it without disturbing the rifle now. When I had really bad form, pressing the trigger always moved the rifle. Not really now.

2 lbs is not heavy, lol, in relative terms.

I did hunt with 3lb and then got to using 2lb for NRL22, PRS, silhouette and rimfire bench rest matches. Now 2lbs feels good for hunting rifle. 

4 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

4 to 8oz.  

Even being used to shooting 7-8oz....4oz is really light.  Definitely no need to think "squeeze slowly".  Your pulse is to strong and it sends it....

You’re a mad man. 

Since we are on the subject. What do you guys like for trigger weight on a hunting AR? I Just put a 3.5# in the wife's and it's nice but i think lighter would still be better.  

I think 2 pounds would be nice for me. I like my 3 pounder though. Any less and I would worry about NDs for anyone who is not constantly shooting and has excellent control. Sometimes, including myself...

Depends on the trigger. 2-3 lbs usually. With most factory triggers having a consistent pull weight is hard to get.