Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Drone usage for exploring/scouting??

A buddy of mine has a house up in the foothills in Tucson, right up against the mountains (close to the north end of Swan, if you're familiar with Tucson).   I was hanging out with him a while back, and he was showing me his newest 'toy', which was a VERY cool drone.  Not sure how high-end it was, but it basically had an HD camera set-up and a range of something like 3 miles.  It was mainly to goof-off with on his back deck, and we had fun flying it around and taking videos and pics of the mountains and a couple of the resorts close by.

Given the HD level quality of the video it produced, it of course occurred to me that it would be super easy and convenient to fly it up into hard to reach canyons and territory to 'scout' for animals, if one was so inclined.  Nothing beats a good pair of binos on a tripod, but still.... ;)

Anyone tried that yet??

(I'm sure that like the trail camera topic, this one could get hot!  LOL)

Actually, in the regs it looks like drones are referred under the 'aircraft' category.  The only restriction I can find is that you can't do it within 48 hours of a hunt. ;) 

Edit:  Correction!  It also is referred to in the 'harassment' section, but is not explicitly stated as illegal.  Only that you cannot use them to 'harass, heard, etc...'. 

Someone must be scouting in my backyard cause when my ol lady lays out they hover above also

• Haha 7

55 minutes ago, Adicted said:

nobody will admit to it...but its illegal.  "Fair Chase"

its not illegal

• Like 3

One cool thing I know they are good for. Getting a nice overview of a lake..    

I never considered looking for animals with it.

Alamo wide.jpg

• Like 3

Friend’s kid has one and brought it camping a while back...could see elk in a meadow a good 1/2 mile away. No this was not during elk season. 

43 minutes ago, Adicted said:

Someone must be scouting in my backyard cause when my ol lady lays out they hover above also

And if your ol lady is the person ( I would say female or woman, but not sure how she identifies this minute ) in your avatar, I can certainly see what they are "scouting" for.  :D

Eddie

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

One cool thing I know they are good for. Getting a nice overview of a lake..    

I never considered looking for animals with it.

Now everybody will know what that lake looks...ruiner.....

Alamo wide.jpg

What are the laws on shooting down a drone? Asking for a friend..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Explorer said:

What are the laws on shooting down a drone? Asking for a friend..

They are considered aircraft by the FAA.. (sort of)

They tend to frown on the downing of aircraft.

If you are in the forest and someone's dog comes up to you to say hi, can you shoot it?

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it could wind up being the most expensive bird you ever shoot.

• Like 4