Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Drone usage for exploring/scouting??

23 minutes ago, TOBY said:

Now everybody will know what that lake looks...ruiner.....

Nah, unless we get another 4" of rain, it's not looking like that again....

5 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

They are considered aircraft by the FAA.. (sort of)

They tend to frown on the downing of aircraft.

If you are in the forest and someone's dog comes up to you to say hi, can you shoot it?

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it could wind up being the most expensive bird you ever shoot.

They have leash laws for a reason.  Joking joking.  Everyones so serious 

• Like 1

Never had a dog wander in and take pics of the ole lady sunbathing...seriously though, would FAA really look at shooting down a nosy drone as “downing an aircraft?” Do they now require any sort of license or registration to fly them? Serious questions because I don’t know...

5 hours ago, PowellSixO said:

And lazy. 

lazy like the people with 15x binos who don't want to hike farther to get closer

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Do they now require any sort of license or registration to fly them?

Yes. Arizona drone regulations require that you register your drone with the FAA and firmly affix the drone registration number to your aircraft prior to flight. Federal law requires that any small unmanned aircraft (drones) weighing more than .55 pounds and less than 55, be registered and marked with a registration number, either by registering online or by using the legacy paper based registration process.  

https://www.federaldroneregistration.com/arizona-drone-registration#:~:text=Yes.,(drones) weighing more than.

On the topic, per AZGFD a drone shall not be used to locate wildlife beginning 48 hours before the opening of a big game hunting season...regardless if you take an animal or not.

Arizona Game and Fish Commission’s consideration of Fair Chase issues

• A technology or practice that allows a hunter or angler to locate or take wildlife without acquiring necessary hunting and angling skills or competency.
  • A technology or practice that allows a hunter or angler to pursue or take wildlife without being physically present and pursuing wildlife in the field.
  • A technology or practice that makes harvesting wildlife almost certain, and/or the technology or practice prevents wildlife from eluding detection and/or take.
  • Unmanned aerial vehicles — drones — are aircraft and subject to the same rules as other aircraft, meaning they cannot be used to assist in taking wildlife or locating wildlife during an open season;

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/fairchase/

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

You lost me 

Lol. Bad analogy but you can't destroy someone's property just because its annoying. 

The laws and legalities regarding drones and public airspace,  private property, privacy and safety issues make the whole trail cam debate look like childs play.

I change beacon id on the drone to either AirForce One or 26000, that way i get special clearance and wont get into trouble.  It is like dating your neighbors wife, you wont get into trouble until you get caught, just dont get caught.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AZ Free Man said:

Probably what all of the guides will be using when trail cams get banned.

For the "Guide haters" out there. There is an interesting, likely meaningless little hurdle in their use of drones. 

For starters, they are already using them and have been for years.

There is a Federal rule that if you fly for ANY compensation, you are required to obtain your FAA Part 107 License. (The FAA even consider a single monetized video on YouTube as compensation and have made people remove videos until they obtain the license)  It's not a hard license to get but takes time, money and a test so it's just another hoop to jump through to be technically "legal".

Now...

Will guides do it? probably not

Will they get in trouble for not getting a license and using a drone? probably not

Would it be hard to prove that his flying is directly related to being paid by someone?  Yep...

But, since wildlife crimes seem to be so freaking difficult to prosecute effectively, maybe another little tool in the toolbox will help. Especially if that tool has the potential to be wielded by the Feds..

So the point is.....  I'm bored...

• Like 1

Why wouldn't you shoot a drone down if it was close enough to hit with a 12GA? I have had them close enough to hit at my house but not legal to shoot a gun there. In the woods all bets are off.

• Like 1

You guys are amateurs. It's much more fun shooting at the Indian Reservation planes trying to herd the elk back to the reservations during hunting seasons. That's what I call big game hunting. Haaa.

• Haha 1