Ohthatguy

Camo under IR light is solid white

Things that make you go hummm.... 

Can animals see the solid color or ?? 

Always wondered about it.  It was over 10 years ago and I have no clue if any of my current camo looks like this with the IR light.

Anyone else notice this?

154598153_Camowhite.jpg.da3dd277694886f6abc37cc0dfa51f3e.jpg

Makes me wonder about the difference with the shirt...pants look fine. Different material or backing or something different?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Or UV brightener in the laundry detergent? 

I remember those glowing blue images in the old sport wash commercials. Big sales before scent killers took over. LoL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, galiuro mountain man said:

Looks like a high polyester mix, like a warm weather shirt.  Poly is reflective.

galiuro mountain man, you sir, are spot on.  It was a thin summer shirt and would guess it was polyester or some type of poly blend.

By contrast, cotton and polyester transmit between 30 and 40 percent of visible light, so they are more transparent in the visual range than they are in the infrared. The team says these materials appear opaque because they reflect more light than they transmit and the human eye is only sensitive enough to pick up the reflected light. (Indeed, it is usually easy to see through these materials if you hold them up to your eyes.)

Second, the fibers themselves are about the same size as the wavelength of infrared light and so scatter it effectively. This makes the materials reflect infrared light strongly. That’s why these materials often appear white in infrared images.

7 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Keeps me awake at night relentlessly thinking about it.

Me too!! How crazy is that?? It's been over 10 long years of sleepless nights for me because of it.

At least now we know why it appears white. Now if we only knew if critters could see it in daylight conditions as well, maybe we could finally get a good nights rest. I mean, it would be funny as hello if we were sneaking around in specialty camouflaged outfits and the animals actually see a solid white sheet creeping through the trees.

Maybe my stalking skills really aren't that bad after all. 

Deer should be banned for using IR illuminators...in the name of fair chase.

15 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Or UV brightener in the laundry detergent? 

use a detergent that doesn't have UV brightener in it... Use a black light on them before& after you use a "hunting/sports" wash & you'll be amazed at the difference.   Been using "hunting detergent" since the early 80s & it makes a difference!

I don't use fabric softeners on hunting clothes...

• Like 1