Rag Horn

6mm Remington deer bullet

Berger 95gr. VLD Hunting.  It's worked for me in a 240 Weatherby.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

100gr Sierra Gameking is cheap and has left 2 coues DRT out of a .243.

This ^
Second for me is the 85g Sierra BTHP. 

depending on your twist, but I have great success with Berger 108 Hybrid Elite Hunter out of my 6XC

If it’s a production 6mm it’s likely twisted more for 70-90 gr bullets unfortunately.  That’s why the .243 won that battle.  .244/6mm was made and marketed toward varmiters with light bullets and slower twists.  Winchester marketed the .243 toward deer guys with 100gr bullets and the popularity took off.  Figure out your twists before you buy anything.  If you gotta go lighter stick to a bonded or all copper and you’ll be fine for coues even in the 80gr country.  

• Like 1

87 or 95 grain Berger hunting bullets is what I am going to shoot out of my 6mm bra. As long as terminal velocity is over 1800 fps it will kill a coues dead.

My 7mm shot a coues with a 180 vld at 730 yards and it traveled through him. He was quartered to shooter and it went out his gut and reentered his rear leg, blowing a crater in it. His lung and liver were trashed. He ran 30 yards and piled up. It was way more, so that led me to build a 6mm for deer hunting.

Regardless of caliber, Berger hunting bullets (non varmint) penetrate about 3-5 inches and then fragment. Total penetration depends on bullet size and velocity at impact. You put the bullet in the lungs and vitals, the animal can't survive and rarely travels more than 50 yards. My 180s punched through elk shoulder no problem.

With a muzzle velocity above 2900 fps, a 180 vld will leave a mess of carnage and have exits on a broadside elk at 600 yards. A 77ish grain .223 inside 400 yards will penetrate about 18 inches or more. Inside 500 yards, a 6mm 95ish will penetrate 20 inches or more.

Look at the age of the 6mm if it's an old 600 it wont shoot the heavy bullets but the newer 6mms have a1:10 twist. I load a 85gr speer with 45gr imr4350 and have killed 2 wt and 3 mule deer none of them complained. I am also getting sub moa. I have also killed one  buck with tipped triple shock in 80 or 85gr I am not sure which one is tipped and which one is not. I would caution you on small bonded bullets they don't leave great exit wounds in result leaving little to no blood trail. That is why I switched to a conventional bullet and have not had a jacket failure issue like some would be concerned with on a bullet going 3360. End of the day pick what shoots well and use it but know the limitations of the bullet. 

I've been shooting 100 gr. partitions out of my Ruger M77 6mm Remington for 30 years.  It has performed very well on varmints, javelina, deer, pronghorn and an elk.  I have the same 1:9.5 twist.  Took a long time to find a load it liked though.....

• Like 2

90 grain nosler balistictip is a great bullet for the 6mm caliber.    I've probably shot 30-50 big game animals with that bullet and found every one of them and none made if very far.........except one that rolled a long ways down a hill but it doesn't count because it was really dead.

Partitions and the Hornady SST bullets have been impressive things to critters over the years too.     

Personally, I can't stand the terminal performance of berger bullets on smaller animals like CWT/ yotes.   I've shot a few to many that didn't die like they should have.    You won't see me shoot those bullets at game animals again.    

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, recurveman said:

90 grain nosler balistictip is a great bullet for the 6mm caliber.    I've probably shot 30-50 big game animals with that bullet and found every one of them and none made if very far.........except one that rolled a long ways down a hill but it doesn't count because it was really dead.

Partitions and the Hornady SST bullets have been impressive things to critters over the years too.     

Personally, I can't stand the terminal performance of berger bullets on smaller animals like CWT/ yotes.   I've shot a few to many that didn't die like they should have.    You won't see me shoot those bullets at game animals again.    

What Bergers were you shooting?  Curious about your experience. 

I do understand tipped Nosler and the Tipped Sierra Match King expand quicker on penetration, typically sooner than Berger.