SirRoyal

TRAIL CAM BAN UPDATE 3/17/21

Utah Trail Cam Bill. Seems fair to me.  Maybe Arizona should look at this bill.  

23-13-20. Trail cameras.

According to the bill, 

(2) Except as provided in Subsection (3), it is unlawful for a person to place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device: (a) at any time during the period beginning August 1 and ending December 31 of each year; (b) at any time during the period beginning July 1 and ending December 31 of each year if the trail camera or similar device wirelessly transmits or is capable of wirelessly transmitting images, videos, or location data of wildlife; or (c) at any time, if the placement, maintenance, or use of the trail camera or similar device prevents wildlife from accessing, or alters the manner in which wildlife accesses, a spring, water source, or artificial basin that collects water or is designed and constructed to collect water.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to:
(a) a person who is acting within the scope of the person's official duties if:
(i) the person is an employee or authorized agent of the state, a political subdivision of the state, or the federal government; and
(ii) the person clearly marks each trail camera or similar device to indicate ownership;
(b) a person who places, maintains, or uses a trail camera or similar device with the division's approval; or
(c) a person who places, maintains, or uses a trail camera on private property with the landowner's permission.

3 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

I'm no lawyer but to make it unenforceable I think they would need to ban trail cameras for any reason on all public land in AZ. The problem is that the wording allows to be trail cameras legal for all purposes except for hunting. That leaves the door wide open for interpretation. The grey area is miles wide. I'm one that would like to see permits or registrations for trailcams. If you're gonna make a dumb rule at least make some money at the same time... lol

Just like the cell cams, illegal for hunters to use for hunting purposes but anyone else could use them for anything they choose.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, huntlines said:

Actually no I don’t wish. I’m actually against the trail camera ban, however I don’t see how this stops them from starting over using different language.

I think you’re assuming everyone is against you and your attempt to stop this rule change. You need not alienate people who might be on your side.

I stand corrected sir! I apologize!

9 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

“The big players and their jets that fly in to buy auction tags. “

No we have not recieved 1 dime from them . Just the average Joe Hunter. But 10,000 guys pull clout. Just saying. 

16 minutes ago, az300wby said:

Utah Trail Cam Bill. Seems fair to me.  Maybe Arizona should look at this bill.  

23-13-20. Trail cameras.

According to the bill, 

(2) Except as provided in Subsection (3), it is unlawful for a person to place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device: (a) at any time during the period beginning August 1 and ending December 31 of each year; (b) at any time during the period beginning July 1 and ending December 31 of each year if the trail camera or similar device wirelessly transmits or is capable of wirelessly transmitting images, videos, or location data of wildlife; or (c) at any time, if the placement, maintenance, or use of the trail camera or similar device prevents wildlife from accessing, or alters the manner in which wildlife accesses, a spring, water source, or artificial basin that collects water or is designed and constructed to collect water.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to:
(a) a person who is acting within the scope of the person's official duties if:
(i) the person is an employee or authorized agent of the state, a political subdivision of the state, or the federal government; and
(ii) the person clearly marks each trail camera or similar device to indicate ownership;
(b) a person who places, maintains, or uses a trail camera or similar device with the division's approval; or
(c) a person who places, maintains, or uses a trail camera on private property with the landowner's permission.

Demand No Trail Cam!

Sorry no Compromise!!!  

Here we Stand!

5 minutes ago, SirRoyal said:

No we have not recieved 1 dime from them . Just the average Joe Hunter. But 10,000 guys pull clout. Just saying. 

Quted was from the commission meeting. Not directed at you guys.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

I'm no lawyer but to make it enforceable I think they would need to ban trail cameras for any reason on all public land in AZ. The problem is that the wording allows trail cameras to be legal for all purposes except for hunting. That leaves the door wide open for interpretation. The grey area is miles wide. I'm one that would like to see permits or registrations for trailcams. If you're gonna make a dumb rule at least make some money at the same time... lol

Also... if the justification for rule making is that trail cameras and related conflicts are a threat to public safety, you'd have to ban all cameras for any reason. Wouldn't you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigbuckclub said:

Also... if the justification for rule making is that trail cameras and related conflicts are a threat to public safety, you'd have to ban all cameras for any reason. Wouldn't you?

I would think so

2 minutes ago, bigbuckclub said:

You would have to ban all hunting. Hunters get into conflicts in the field, who’s sitting a water tank, who’s stand is it, who shot first, this is my spot! 

Sounds like game and fish should ban hunting if this is the logic.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

Quted was from the commission meeting. Not directed at you guys.

“Quoted” fixed it for you, wouldn’t want the grammar police to get you. 😁

• Like 1

Executive Orders 2020-02 and 2021-02 are in direct contravention with the authority granted to AZGFD under A.R.S. 17-231.  Under A.R.S. 17-231, the State Legislature has granted AZGFD with broad authority to "adopt rules and establish services that it deems necessary to carry out the provisions and purposes of this title," "establish broad policies and long-range programs for the management, preservation and harvest of wildlife," and "establish hunting, trapping and fishing rules and prescribe the manner and methods that may be used in taking wildlife..."  Therefore, AZGFD has the authority to regulate trail cameras despite the Governor's Executive Orders.   The Executive Orders, if applied as requested by Eric English, would constitute an attempt to usurp the authority already granted to AZGFD by the duly elected representatives in the State Legislature.  

If the Governor decides to rescind the "permission" then AZGFD can and should simply allege that a proposed rule that ensures "fair chase" falls within the scope of "to prevent a significant threat to public health, peace or safety" and therefore should be met with the Governor's approval.

• Like 1