SirRoyal

TRAIL CAM BAN UPDATE 3/17/21

1 hour ago, Riesop said:

Go find a water hole during hunting season that doesn't have a camera and report back to me, good luck.  

I know of many. I only run a few cameras during the year just for fun. I've never killed an animal I've had on camera. I've had more success from scouting with my "2 eyes". 

What does bother me, is people dictating to others what they should do, just because they do it different. I've kept quiet in this debate and respected both sides and opinions. But having my rights and opportunities restricted because someone else doesn't like it is not ok.

In general game cams have made a huge impact on the hunting world due to Social Media. Thats about it. We all love seeing big animals and pictures from guys like Jason Miller. But by rule if he chooses to hunt that unit, he would have to pull those cameras. Which is unfortunate. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

I know of many. I only run a few cameras during the year just for fun. I've never killed an animal I've had on camera. I've had more success from scouting with my "2 eyes". 

What does bother me, is people dictating to others what they should do, just because they do it different. I've kept quiet in this debate and respected both sides and opinions. But having my rights and opportunities restricted because someone else doesn't like it is not ok.

In general game cams have made a huge impact on the hunting world due to Social Media. Thats about it. We all love seeing big animals and pictures from guys like Jason Miller. But by rule if he chooses to hunt that unit, he would have to pull those cameras. Which is unfortunate. 

I like to hunt out of a helicopter with a machine gun. Pisses me off they made laws against it and are restricting my rights.

2 hours ago, Riesop said:

Go find a water hole during hunting season that doesn't have a camera and report back to me, good luck.  Just my opinion but to me fair chase is fair chase.  Get out and scout with the two eyes God gave you and enjoy every minute of it, don't let a machine do it for you.

The few cameras that I used were never on water, they always got stolen, In the last 10 years I've had probably less than 5 maybe only 3 people show up on my cameras. To me personally a camera has never been part of my "real" scouting. I know a bunch of people that used them in that way just not me personally. I use them to take pictures and something to check in the summer before my scouting begins. I sure enjoy seeing what the animals look like in my area that year.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AZtroutman said:

I like to hunt out of a helicopter with a machine gun. Pisses me off they made laws against it and are restricting my rights.

Its comments like this that are why we can't have honest conversation. Thank you for contributing to society.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ThomC said:

That is right it will hurt the average hunter not the guides that caused the problem.  The people who charge the big bucks will get around or just ignore the rule.  Sportsmen and women have lost their voice on the Commission.

So I do agree that some guides may have caused the problem, but I seriously doubt that most of the guides and outfitters will ignore the rule if/when it takes place, but no doubt some will. 

36 minutes ago, AZtroutman said:

I don't think this has anything to do with other people's opinions.  This may sound very silly but as our society advances and technology advances we absolutely are gaining an upper hand on these animals.  If we want fair chase then the animals we are hunting should be able to advance in technology and put out cameras to spy on us as well right?  Yep, sounds silly.  As far as I know you can still use cameras up to a certain time to see the animals in your area and enjoy that, just not during season.  If we keep advancing and technology helps us take more and more animals you'll see more and more seasons taken away like we're seeing right now to keep populations at a decent level.

5 minutes ago, Riesop said:

I don't think this has anything to do with other people's opinions.  This may sound very silly but as our society advances and technology advances we absolutely are gaining an upper hand on these animals.  If we want fair chase then the animals we are hunting should be able to advance in technology and put out cameras to spy on us as well right?  Yep, sounds silly.  As far as I know you can still use cameras up to a certain time to see the animals in your area and enjoy that, just not during season.  If we keep advancing and technology helps us take more and more animals you'll see more and more seasons taken away like we're seeing right now to keep populations at a decent level.

I partially agree and respect your comment.

3 hours ago, zackcarp said:

Its comments like this that are why we can't have honest conversation. Thank you for contributing to society.

Simply showing you that your logic is flawed. Wanted to make sure you really understood. And it worked. Also, your rights and opportunities aren't being restricted because "someone doesn't like it". First off there is no "right" to put a camera in the national forest. It is allowed but not a right. As for the opportunity to use the cameras you still have the opportunity to use them. Just the same that you have the opportunity to use a spotlight, fly in a helicopter etc. You just can't do any of that while attempting to kill an animal and can't use camera info to kill an animal with it. This is a fair chase issue, not a my feelings are getting hurt issue.

• Like 3

The Dept doesn't have the balls to create rules that will actually solve a lot of problems. 

1. Why don't we have outfitters licenses? If guides break the law, that guide can lose his guides license. What about the outfitters who hire them? There are guides for certain outfitters doing plenty of shadey stuff but the outfitters can't be penalized because there's no outfitters license. An outfitters license should be required AND outfitters should be required to carry a $10,000 bond.  

2. Limit the use of trailcams per outfitter per unit and leave everyone else out of it.

3. Really easy to enforce if number 1 is enacted

1 hour ago, AZtroutman said:

Simply showing you that your logic is flawed. Wanted to make sure you really understood. And it worked. Also, your rights and opportunities aren't being restricted because "someone doesn't like it". First off there is no "right" to put a camera in the national forest. It is allowed but not a right. As for the opportunity to use the cameras you still have the opportunity to use them. Just the same that you have the opportunity to use a spotlight, fly in a helicopter etc. You just can't do any of that while attempting to kill an animal and can't use camera info to kill an animal with it. This is a fair chase issue, not a my feelings are getting hurt issue.

No, your comment didn’t show flaw, only your own obsurd flaw. Most common sense people see an enormous difference between the use of trail cameras and hunting from helicopters.

Staying on topic, current hunting freedoms are slowly being chipped away at and if your ok with that then fine. Most of us see this as not a camera debate but a larger issue of hunting rights being taken away.

Eventually, it will be a right you enjoy and utilize in your hunting tactics. When that day comes you will wonder why a lot of fellow hunters are not on your side. It’s because we as hunters sit around b!tching about what others are doing instead of supporting each other regardless of personal opinions or preferences.

Personally, I’d like long range hunting banned and I believe it will eventually come. Hunting period is under assault and will probably disappear too.

I honestly don’t care if trail cameras are banned, just don’t like how easily we are allowing it to happen. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Desertguide said:

The Dept doesn't have the balls to create rules that will actually solve a lot of problems. 

1. Why don't we have outfitters licenses? If guides break the law, that guide can lose his guides license. What about the outfitters who hire them? There are guides for certain outfitters doing plenty of shadey stuff but the outfitters can't be penalized because there's no outfitters license. An outfitters license should be required AND outfitters should be required to carry a $10,000 bond.

I could not agree more.  Knowing a guy is a rule breaker and keep on using him says everything you need to know about an outfitter.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Riesop said:

Go find a water hole during hunting season that doesn't have a camera and report back to me, good luck.  Just my opinion but to me fair chase is fair chase.  Get out and scout with the two eyes God gave you and enjoy every minute of it, don't let a machine do it for you.

I seldom see cameras on water holes where I hunt. I look closely too.

"First off there is no "right" to put a camera in the national forest. It is allowed but not a right." 

I always thought the constitution gave us the right to do anything we wanted until we decide to give the government the ability to restrict an activity.  If it is "allowed", then it is our right.  It doesn't have to be enumerated in the constitution to be our right.  IMHO.

• Like 1