SirRoyal

TRAIL CAM BAN UPDATE 3/17/21

6 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

"First off there is no "right" to put a camera in the national forest. It is allowed but not a right." 

I always thought the constitution gave us the right to do anything we wanted until we decide to give the government the ability to restrict an activity.  If it is "allowed", then it is our right.  It doesn't have to be enumerated in the constitution to be our right.  IMHO.

Do I have the right to go build a house in the forest? Do I have the right to cut down all the trees for firewood? No. Rights don't mean we get to do whatever we please, whenever we want, wherever we want. Now you'll say well those things aren't "allowed". The reason they aren't "allowed" is because there were laws put in place to stop it from happening. The same way there will soon be a law regarding trail cameras.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AZtroutman said:

Do I have the right to go build a house in the forest? Do I have the right to cut down all the trees for firewood? No. Rights don't mean we get to do whatever we please, whenever we want, wherever we want. Now you'll say well those things aren't "allowed". The reason they aren't "allowed" is because there were laws put in place to stop it from happening. The same way there will soon be a law regarding trail cameras.

The game and fish commission can't make laws

Constitution 101

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AZtroutman said:

Rights do mean we get to do whatever we please, whenever we want, wherever we want, UNTIL we give the government power over these activities.  The building of houses in a national forest and cutting all the trees down are not allowed because we let government dictate that to us through laws.  We have limited our own rights and freedoms for a perceived public good.  I hope we don't loose the right to put up a trail camera in the national forest because a few bozos on a commission call it a public threat or some such hooey.  

To be clear, I realize GNF is saying they want to stop the use of cameras for taking wildlife and not for other uses of cameras.  Don't know how they can tell which camera is being used for other than hunting recreation and one used for taking of game.

• Like 1

I wonder how they figure out who is flying planes during hunts.  I mean, it's legal to fly a plane, just can not use it for taking wildlife.    It's like any other law they have to enforce.  Lots will slip thru the cracks, some will be busted, the major offenders usually get caught or quit doing it.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

I wonder how they figure out who is flying planes during hunts.  I mean, it's legal to fly a plane, just can not use it for taking wildlife.    It's like any other law they have to enforce.  Lots will slip thru the cracks, some will be busted, the major offenders usually get caught or quit doing it.  

Actually the guides will find loop holes just like they do with flying. The people this will hurt is the average DIY hunter.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, huntlines said:

Actually the guides will find loop holes just like they do with flying. The people this will hurt is the average DIY hunter.

There is over 300,000 licensed hunters in this state I would bet less than 2% use trail cameras, I think the average DIY hunter will be just fine.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 654321 said:

There is over 300,000 licensed hunters in this state I would bet less than 2% use trail cameras, I think the average DIY hunter will be just fine.

They got popular years back,then they weren't worth the hassle and cost.I've got a few i've tried to give away.

Believe it or not the first trail camera, orcamera trap, was introduced by wildlife-enthusiast George Shiras in the late 1880's.

14 hours ago, 654321 said:

I would bet you are way off on your estimate of 2%. I’d bet it’s way more like 30 to 35%. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, huntlines said:

In what way do you think this will this hurt the DIY hunter?  Lower success rate? Or ? 

The DIY hunter doesn't spend  (or have) as much time in the woods as someone like a guide who does this as his profession.  In order to check out more than one area for an upcoming hunt, it can be very helpful to put a camera on a trail or funnel or scrape to see what's in that area and if it's worth it to spend your limited amount of time there or if you should try somewhere else.  The average DIYer can't spend more than a few weekends scouting for each hunt.  My 2 cents.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

The DIY hunter doesn't spend  (or have) as much time in the woods as someone like a guide who does this as his profession.  In order to check out more than one area for an upcoming hunt, it can be very helpful to put a camera on a trail or funnel or scrape to see what's in that area and if it's worth it to spend your limited amount of time there or if you should try somewhere else.  The average DIYer can't spend more than a few weekends scouting for each hunt.  My 2 cents.

Yeah but when the guides have 200 cameras per guide the DIY hunter cant compete with them. Just go to unit 9 or 13b and you'll see what I mean.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AZ11 said:

Yeah but when the guides have 200 cameras per guide the DIY hunter cant compete with them. Just go to unit 9 or 13b and you'll see what I mean.

Lol.... 200 cameras per guide? I'm sure you're just exaggerating for effect. 

16 minutes ago, AZ11 said:

Maybe not on the strip or unit 9 or maybe even for elk at all, but what about all the Coues/mule deer that got killed on water this year and all of the last year?. Most of the successful archery deer hunters that I've seen the last few years were because of water and cameras. Rifle can be a different story.  Of course I don't have any real research on that but a lot of observation. The guys that decide they want to kill a deer can set up cameras in june and july, check once or twice sit a tank or salt and kill a deer in August or Sept.  It is those guys that will suffer, guides and outfitters will just spot light and run up and down the roads more and spend more time than the before said DIY guy that went out 2x. 

• Like 1