SirRoyal

TRAIL CAM BAN UPDATE 3/17/21

22 hours ago, huntlines said:

Actually the guides will find loop holes just like they do with flying. The people this will hurt is the average DIY hunter.

Which guides are you referring to? Serious question.

7 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

In what way do you think this will this hurt the DIY hunter?  Lower success rate? Or ? 

The obvious, not being able to use the cameras.

5 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

Which guides are you referring to? Serious question.

???? Really? There are several guide services who use planes for scouting.

• Like 1

Just now, huntlines said:

???? Really? There are several guide services who use planes for scouting.

I was referring more to the statement about loopholes. None of the guides I know.. and I know a few... would risk their businesses by breaking a rule. I mean obviously there are idiots that would do it. Likely the same idiots that already get busted all the time. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't think most guides are what people assume about them. I know wouldn't risk my guides license and livelihood over a stupid camera. Seems there are maybe a few rotten apples? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

Lol.... 200 cameras per guide? I'm sure you're just exaggerating for effect. 

This is not an exaggeration, and some of them post how many they use.

• Wow! 1

2 minutes ago, AZ11 said:

That's crazy. I think they're full of sh!t. I know there are outfitters that buy that many cameras but its not possible for 1 guy to keep track of 200 cameras for one season of hunting. Not even if that's all the guide did. I can't fathom trying to keep up with 200 cameras. I'm too busy scouting... 😂😂😂

11 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

I was referring more to the statement about loopholes. None of the guides I know.. and I know a few... would risk their businesses by breaking a rule. I mean obviously there are idiots that would do it. Likely the same idiots that already get busted all the time. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't think most guides are what people assume about them. I know wouldn't risk my guides license and livelihood over a stupid camera. Seems there are maybe a few rotten apples? 

Well I know a few guide services too, and I know they use planes to scout with during season. They don’t have their name attached to the plane and therefore are not risking their business. Same will happen with the cameras. They will pay people under the table to run them and when or if they are caught they have deniability.

• Like 3

IMO the only way it will hurt the outfitters and guides are with auction and raffle tags.  Maybe not even that since they can pay a lot more people to be in the woods.

14 minutes ago, AZ11 said:

Yup, I know of one who brags about haveing 130 cameras in a single unit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, huntlines said:

Well I know a few guide services too, and I know they use planes to scout with during season. They don’t have their name attached to the plane and therefore are not risking their business. Same will happen with the cameras. They will pay people under the table to run them and when or if they are caught they have deniability.

Still... I think you're talking about a handful of outfitters... maybe.

3 minutes ago, Desertguide said:

Still... I think you're talking about a handful of outfitters... maybe.

Yup, probably the same handful causing the problems forcing G&F to propose a ban.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, huntlines said:

The obvious, not being able to use the cameras.

Good response.  So in other words, it will hurt everyone equal if they r banned

4 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Good response.  So in other words, it will hurt everyone equal if they r banned

No, not equally. DIY hunters who can’t pay someone else to run cameras for them will be hurt the most.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, huntlines said:

Yup, probably the same handful causing the problems forcing G&F to propose a ban.

That's exactly why GnF needs to create and require an outfitters licenses. 

6 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

The DIY hunter doesn't spend  (or have) as much time in the woods as someone like a guide who does this as his profession.  In order to check out more than one area for an upcoming hunt, it can be very helpful to put a camera on a trail or funnel or scrape to see what's in that area and if it's worth it to spend your limited amount of time there or if you should try somewhere else.  The average DIYer can't spend more than a few weekends scouting for each hunt.  My 2 cents.

I agree with this completely.  Where we differ on opinion is i gladly welcome it.  Seems like everyone has gotten over the false statement that cameras do not = more success.  I am ok with guys having to actually get out in the field and scout again.  If the overall success rate drops, that's a good thing too for our dwindling #'s.  I doubt the success drops that much, but forcing guys into the field more is a step closer to what hunting used to be.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1