Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Nobody / anybody

Helped my uncle reset his portal account last night. He has 22 points and didn't get drawn for 10 rifle. Figured with the high amount of tags he would draw. Sad. Say goodbye to the good old days of hunting in the next few years. Elk and antelope tags ..

My Dad & daughter both had their portals list congratulations they were "Drawn" for Mid-Winter Pronghorn permits for Hunt # 2000.

Only issue there is that hunt # is for a bonus point, so I guess the portal is now reporting a bonus point purchase as a congratulatory '"Drawn"

I wonder how many other folks are thinking they were "drawn" but really only added a bonus point? Odd choice of reporting within the portal IMO.

I just checked today and drew unit 9 with 14 or 15 points, totally lucked out!  Coming down from MN for this hunt, never killed a goat, I’ll take any tips anyone is willing to share!

I had 29, 30 now. I went into the draw with my brother who had 23 points so we averaged 26. 5A and 5B first and second.

Next year I'm thinking about using my 30 by myself.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 10:14 AM, NOTAGS said:

It will be your daughter!  That’s the way it works..... just ask Lance!

My daughter just drew a muzzy tag with 6 points and I couldnt be happier gonna be fun

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, WHALE said:

My daughter just drew a muzzy tag with 6 points and I couldnt be happier gonna be fun

Which hunt I’ll be in 2B muzzy 

1 hour ago, singleshot said:

I had 29, 30 now. I went into the draw with my brother who had 23 points so we averaged 26. 5A and 5B first and second.

Next year I'm thinking about using my 30 by myself.

At 26 average you had a 1.1% chance of drawing 5b. 5a even worse because there are only 7 tags so only 1 bonus pass tag. At 30 points you will be guaranteed whatever tag you want. 

Your brother at 23 points had a 1.0% chance of drawing and you both together at 26 had a 1.1% chance. I would tell your brother he is on his own because it's only hurting you and statistically not helping him at all.

15 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

Drew 5B last year (2020) with 27 points.  Got tag #4 in the 20% pass.  

27 didn’t get me that tag this year. 

how was that hunt? I had a buddy on that hunt, so I’m curious to hear a 2nd opinion. 

4 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

27 didn’t get me that tag this year. 

how was that hunt? I had a buddy on that hunt, so I’m curious to hear a 2nd opinion. 

Point creep is real.  Had a great hunt.  Saw a lot of antelope with a selection of very nice bucks.  Had no issues with fellow antelope hunters but had a number of enounters with people scouting for elk.  Ended up with a nice buck.  My 5B lope is fantastic table fare, as good or better than coues deer.  Save every scrap when you finally get a tag.

• Like 1

I've had 3 tags since 2010, 1 rifle and 2 archery. Got one on the wall and having fun now. My buddy got one on our bowhunt a couple years ago. I've had my chances and blew it.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 9:11 PM, AZtroutman said:

At 26 average you had a 1.1% chance of drawing 5b. 5a even worse because there are only 7 tags so only 1 bonus pass tag. At 30 points you will be guaranteed whatever tag you want. 

Your brother at 23 points had a 1.0% chance of drawing and you both together at 26 had a 1.1% chance. I would tell your brother he is on his own because it's only hurting you and statistically not helping him at all.

Well that really puts it into perspective. What a difference four points make.