junior71

22N Early Rifle Elk

Anyone have any info?

I haven't been in this unit for years, and we just found out my son drew it, using the wrong hunt code. He has point guard if needed, I just hate to see him burn 12 points.

• Haha 1

The info I have is a early rifle bull tag doesn’t come around very often. You turn it in it could be 20 years before he draws another one. Start looking for access points, old rubs, etc. it’s a good hunt.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, junior71 said:

Anyone have any info?

I haven't been in this unit for years, and we just found out my son drew it, using the wrong hunt code. He has point guard if needed, I just hate to see him burn 12 points.

Burn 12 on a hunt that takes 20+ to hit bonus round? I wouldn't say that is burning. I believe they switched that to an early hunt this year and may impact how much bugling and rut action you encounter. If his heart is set on a trophy early rifle hunt and willing to potentially wait 10-15 more years than turn it in. If he wants a really good hunt for a 320-350 bull with potential for better it's a great choice.

My opinion of course, Mark

• Like 1

He thought he applied for 23. Anyway I think he researched 22 late, and saw guys post about to many tags and going down hill. Early rifle is a totally different hunt.

Yes, 20+, I think he hit the lottery!

Keep on posting guys, he needs to see this!

Thanks

2 minutes ago, junior71 said:

He thought he applied for 23. Anyway I think he researched 22 late, and saw guys post about to many tags and going down hill. Early rifle is a totally different hunt.

Yes, 20+, I think he hit the lottery!

Keep on posting guys, he needs to see this!

Thanks

In my opinion his research is fairly accurate. The unit as a whole has gone down in quality. I have helped 5 guys on late rifle hunts and went 4 for 5. Mostly taghorns but saw a couple dandies. That said it still holds some great bulls and having a rifle in hand, the pretty/rut, and first crack at them leans some odds in his favor.

Keep me posted on how your scouting goes. I know that unit well and might be able to help. Congrats to to him! 

Take care, Mark

• Like 1

What are the dates for the hunt he drew? There are 3 rifle bull hunts in that unit.

• Like 1

Just now, Markleo21377 said:

In my opinion his research is fairly accurate. The unit as a whole has gone down in quality. I have helped 5 guys on late rifle hunts and went 4 for 5. Mostly taghorns but saw a couple dandies. That said it still holds some great bulls and having a rifle in hand, the pretty/rut, and first crack at them leans some odds in his favor.

Keep me posted on how your scouting goes. I know that unit well and might be able to help. Congrats to to him! 

Take care, Mark

Typing to fast/spell check.....sorry.

Raghorns

Prerut/rut

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, junior71 said:

22 years old

Excellent, I am excited for you guys. Grab a flatline map of the area and if your circumstances allow get up there camping this spring and summer and get to know roads, water sources, and trails. As it gets closer keep us posted on how things are going.

Mark

• Like 1

It’s definitely a good hunt for 12 pts. It also isn’t really on par with 23N or 23S. But at 12 pts he could chase that hunt for the rest of his life and never draw. With the early dates it will be glassing and sitting water more than chasing bugles.

We had the tag last year and we didn’t have any trouble finding bulls, in 3 days the biggest bull we saw was about 330”.  But we didn’t scout at all. Definitely be ready once you kill a bull, it will be real warm. It’s not the hunt it was 10-15 years ago but it’s an AZ early rifle bull tag. It’s better than almost any other tag in the country.

• Like 1

He should be excited to draw that tag. I drew it last year and was in the bulls every day. The heat was a problem and they stopped screaming about 7:30 or 8:00. I shot my bull at first light and it was 2:30 before we had him back to my brothers house 5 miles East of Payson. We were very concerned about losing the meat it was about 85 degrees by noon. I was not looking for a monster just wanted a decent 6x6 which is what I shot.

IMG_20200928_060329576 (1).jpg

• Like 5