Sign in to follow this  
PseAZ

New 15s.... looking for some input

Looking for some input. I currently have a older pair of SLC non HDs. A buddy at work picked up a new pair of Meopta 15s a while back and I've compared them side by side. I think atleast to my eyes His seem to be a tad brighter. ( could be the difference in the Hue or something) and there crisper to my eye. That being said I'm debating selling my SLC and getting the Newer HDs or the Meopta.

My question is. I know the HDs are going to be better. however is it worth the extra cost? I haven't had the chance to compare them side by side. I'm assuming a few of you guys have. Thanks in advance for all the help.

The HDs are definitely better, but does it justify the extra cost... I’m not sure. I’ve actually debated selling my swaro HD’s and getting a used pair of Meopta 15’s at one point so I could have some extra cash towards a spotter. We will see what the future brings. 

Out of all three, I don’t think there’s a bad choice. Even the older slcs you have are great glass. 

Good luck making a decision, I know it can be hard. 

Kurt

• Like 1

for ME, regular old high quality 15s are just fine. I am not trying to calculate mass or tiny little points though.

I have the non HD swaros and a meopta spotter. All good glass for the commoner.

• Like 1

The meiptas will be more expensive to own in the long run.  You’ll be able to own the SLC HD’s for much cheaper as the resale will be so much better.  It’s always made me wonder why guys buy that mid tier glass to save a few hundred only to have to essentially give them away in order to sell them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PseAZ said:

Looking for some inpgut. I currently have a older pair of SLC non HDs. A buddy at work picked up a new pair of Meopta 15s a while back and I've compared them side by side. I think atleast to my eyes His seem to be a tad brighter. ( could be the difference in the Hue or something) and there crisper to my eye. That being said I'm debating selling my SLC and getting the Newer HDs or the Meopta.

My question is. I know the HDs are going to be better. however is it worth the extra cost? I haven't had the chance to compare them side by side. I'm assuming a few of you guys have. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Everything looks good in bright light. Did you test both in low light or high mirage? Also like yotebuster says" the Meoptas are cheap but wait till you go sell them they'll be almost a total loss". 

OK, I have had the Meopta Meostar 15x56s for years.  I am super happy with them.  Thousands of hours behind them over the years.  

Well, last year, I finally broke down and bought a set of Swaro SLC 15x56 Neu HD.  On a late season elk hunt, my son-in-law was using my Meopta, and I was using the new Swaros.  Bright light, not a big difference at all.  Outer edge is about the only difference.  The Meoptas fisheye just a hair, but not a big deal.

Well, after sunset, glassing into the sun on opening evening, I glassed up 3 bulls about 2 miles away, sun set behind the hill we were glassing.  Meoptas showed a big black hill.  The Swaros could pick out elk easily in the last 15 minutes of legal light.

So, the Swaros will probably get you 20-30 more minutes of hunting light (10-15 AM, 10-15 PM).  Only you can decide if those 20 minutes are worth $800-1000 more.

On a side note, I found the same dark issue with my Meopta Meostar S2 20-70×82 spotter too.  That upgrade cost me an arm and a leg....BTX...

• Like 4

Considering you can get meopta 15s for $1249 brand new and used resale price is $1000-1100 I'd disagree with YB on this personally.  They sell just fine used and no you won't take a bit.  So like lance said 20-30 minutes more light during prime time, is it worth the extra coin?  I loved my meopta 15s. My goal now is gonna be go to meopta 12s, then when I have some extra cash I will bump to a pair of used ELs then may e eventually the NLs.  

I'm not to worried about the resale honestly. I've looked through the Meoptas woth my No HDs during mid day, sunny. the Meoptas seemed to be slightly brighter. and to my eyes crisper. although the swaro might of had a slight win on the edge to edge if any. That being said the Meopta defiantly cut the heat waves alot better. 

I've looked through the new HDs briefly and on both occasions the weather wants too great. I do know there was a noticeable difference between them and my Slc's. No matter what I think both the Meopta and the Newer HDs are better than my SLCs however I'm not sure if the HDs are worth the extra $800 

• Like 1

I own the HD Meoptas and HD SLC's. I had the Meoptas first and loved them. Used them for a few seasons before I got the SLC's. Obviously used the SLC's from then on but last Dec I pulled the Meoptas back out. To me theres no comparison. Like Lance said above, the edge to edge and fish eye is the biggest difference to me. Center clarity is great on the meoptas and color is great. If you want great glass and don't want to refi your house for SLC's, go with Zeiss Conquests. To me eye they're within 3% of the SLC's and much cheaper. The Conquests are better than the Meoptas as well. Better edge to edge and no fisheye. My only real complaint with the Zeiss is it feels like you have to turn the focus wheel more for minor adjustments. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desertguide said:

I own the HD Meoptas and HD SLC's. I had the Meoptas first and loved them. Used them for a few seasons before I got the SLC's. Obviously used the SLC's from then on but last Dec I pulled the Meoptas back out. To me theres no comparison. Like Lance said above, the edge to edge and fish eye is the biggest difference to me. Center clarity is great on the meoptas and color is great. If you want great glass and don't want to refi your house for SLC's, go with Zeiss Conquests. To me eye they're within 3% of the SLC's and much cheaper. The Conquests are better than the Meoptas as well. Better edge to edge and no fisheye. My only real complaint with the Zeiss is it feels like you have to turn the focus wheel more for minor adjustments. 

Don't have any experience with the HD Meoptas but will agree that the 15X56 Zeiss Conquests are very good.  When using my Conquests I find that IPD is critical to overall ease of use.  When IPD is right the binos are easily focused, wrong and they are "fussy".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

Don't have any experience with the HD Meoptas but will agree that the 15X56 Zeiss Conquests are very good.  When using my Conquests I find that IPD is critical to overall ease of use.  When IPD is right the binos are easily focused, wrong and they are "fussy".

Learn something new everyday!!! The ones I've used were a pair I got for my lady. Our eyes are really close so I never messed with the IPD. What you said makes perfect sense though. After I used hers, they were so nice I almost considered selling the SLC's and going with Zeiss. Especially since we get them discounted. 

• Like 1