Elkaddict

Elk draw: ( my mistake!)

Wow I didn’t know this, that’s a huge penalty for swinging for the fences for a non-resident kid. If any of their choices are non-youth, then even if they draw a youth tag they charge full price. Ouch. Makes some sense I guess though.

Crazy rule in my opinion, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

They "should" likely refund you the difference if they really want to promote youth hunting.  It doesn't make much sense to penalize a youth tag interms of $$, just because they want to also apply for adult tags at the same time?  Some of those youth tags have worse odds than some adult tags...that is another reason why this rule doesn't make any sense to me.

Back when tags were paid for upfront, this rule maybe was intended to charge you for the more expensive tag upfront (like the check/money order old days).  But again they should have reimburse you if you drew the lesser tag. My opinion. Somewhat similar to UT and NM who have premium or high demand hunts, you pay the higher price, but get refunded if you draw the lesser tag cost.

• Like 1

They owe you a refund that rule only means if a youth puts in for a general tag they pay the general fee.  Call the main office on monday.

That's a new rule or just a very vague one. My family has put kids in for youth and regular general tags for years and every time they draw the youth tag they pay the $50 tag fee. 

• Like 1

Actually let me just disprove that rule #7 before people believe it. My niece applied for youth cow first choice and 23 late General bull second choice. A $50 charge hit on Thursday and she drew the youth tag. 

Screenshot_20210321-184156_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, az300wby said:

My kid drew a youth cow tag and the hit was for 135.  

Same here.  Saw the $135 charge and thought we won the lottery with an early rifle bull tag!

3 minutes ago, Schmitty said:

Same here.  Saw the $135 charge and thought we won the lottery with an early rifle bull tag!

Me too! Lol

Seems selective for sure! I know in the past I’ve had the kids apply for a great hunt,” shoot for the fence” as someone said and draw the youth tag for $50. Maybe with their new system they set their computers to catch it.  From what I’m hear a lot of people were surprised by it and for some it was the usual results. Congratulations troutman on your nieces tag!

11 hours ago, AZtroutman said:

Actually let me just disprove that rule #7 before people believe it. My niece applied for youth cow first choice and 23 late General bull second choice. A $50 charge hit on Thursday and she drew the youth tag. 

Screenshot_20210321-184156_Chrome.jpg

Seems like it may be a programming error.  People who put a youth only hunt and a general hunt as 1st or 2nd choice it appears are charged the higher $135 fee even if they drew the youth hunt.  I wonder if the people who are being charged for the $50 are only applying for youth hunts 1st & 2nd choice?  If my assumption is correct, this is a very easy programming fix by just checking the hunt numbers and then charging the fee based on that.

This entire draw cycle smells to high heaven.  It is becoming pretty obvious that whatever they planned to do at the beginning did not work and then they had to quickly go in and re-enter information and write some new code to get this draw completed.  I never like to see someone lose their job but some heads need to roll after this debacle.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Elkaddict said:

I was just directed to this note by a friend. Didn’t know this rule. Note 7.BFD2059F-90CB-464A-9C0D-1FC05248F665.thumb.png.39c32c15fc60fe6ef0b414bdb75b855e.png

My daughter puts in for the early bull and jr cow and she has had 2 jr tags and they are $50

• Like 1

Talked to G & F, they said I will get a refund of $600. For those of you that saw the same thing happen, it’s worth a call.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elkaddict said:

Talked to G & F, they said I will get a refund of $600. For those of you that saw the same thing happen, it’s worth a call.

IMO, that should be the case, but that's not what the rule states.  

In the past (going back to 2008), we never paid the "adult fee" when being issued youth hunt elk tags.  We applied for a few of the September bull tags over those years btw.

The one year we did pay the "adult tag fee", my son drew one of those highly coveted September rifle bull tags (he was 15).  It was a great hunt too!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 1uofacat said:

IMO, that should be the case, but that's not what the rule states.  

In the past (going back to 2008), we never paid the "adult fee" when being issued youth hunt elk tags.  We applied for a few of the September bull tags over those years btw.

The one year we did pay the "adult tag fee", my son drew one of those highly coveted September rifle bull tags (he was 15).  It was a great hunt too!

Like someone posted, the rule was written when you could pay by check. You would need to put the higher fee in, makes sense. But now with all tags being online I think they need to change the rule.

• Like 1