Sign in to follow this  
AZHOUND

Long range muzzleloader

Drew an antelope muzzleloader tag. Used to hunt deer a lot with muzzleloader still have a cva optima I like comfortable to 200 yards. Technology has definitely changed looking at the CVA Paramount seems impressive anyone have experience with them. No issues using the optima but looking at options moving forward 

I know this is old.but I've got a paramount pro in 45cal topped with a nightforce 4.5x14x50shv f1 scope.used for the muzzy elk hunt in 6a.the gun kicks like a mule with the 105gr by weight of bh209.got a radial break for it and shot a few rounds after the hunt and it seems to tame it down .haven't had time to check poi shift yet and the increase in max powder to 160gr by volume or 112 gr by weight .but I'd be willing to let you give it a try if your out at usery and it works.if you read all the info its a 500 yd killing machine.pm me if you interested .I've gotta get out to dial in a 7-08 for .ca pig hunt in nov

The big difference I saw when shooting a muzzy at distance is wind drift.    We had a slight wind 4-6mph and the drift at 250 yards was dramatic.    I think the wind drift and shooting distance is the big challenge with a muzzy.......and recoil if you get all froggy.   I use 90 of BH209 because I'm a wimp.   

Thanks for the offer and the info. I went all in finally got the last of my components just need to make it out to shoot now. Hadn’t really thought about the drift probably need to do a little more research 

Wind drift is a factor with lr muzzle loaders, just have to practice with your rifle to get it down. If the conditions are windy, it severely affects my range.  

• Like 1