Grizzly1022

Best sight for extending range

I was lucky enough to draw an archery pronghorn tag this year. Fairly new to the archery scene and finally took my first animal in January this year (javelina), but have a had a few blown chances at some deer within 50 yards over the last few seasons. I’m currently running a 5 pin sight, 20-60, but with this hunt I’m anticipating the need to be comfortable at longer ranges, maybe 80 yards?, more? Is single pin the way to go? Any other sight or archery pronghorn recommendations? Thanks for the help. 

Lots of guys like single pins for distance.  I am not one of them. It cost me a 180+ buck a couple of years ago. I went back to a 7 pin sight.....30-90. I gap them for the in between pin yardages. I have used that setup for years and it works for me.  The view is more cluttered but it doesn’t affect me. 

• Like 1

I’ve got the trophy taker option 4.  I like it. Has fixed pins I set at 20,30,40, then I leave the floater set for 50 when I’m in need of a quick shot (calling in elk or decoying antelope).  You can fold the fixed pins out of the way and have the single floater if you want which is what I do when I have time to range and dial, like in a blind.  With my short draw, high anchor point and heavy arrows I can get about 83 yards out of it which is further then I’m qualified to shoot at animals.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThomC said:

The sight will not extend YOUR range.  Get an archery coach and practice.

Obviously not talking about literally extending, of course it’s all practice. Specifically talking about fixed pins vs adjustable pins. Maybe a poor choice of wording on my part. 

I use a 5 pin hybrid sight, the 5 pins sit on standby at 20-60 yards, then you can dial past 60 and use your bottom pin for longer shots. My bow is 63lbs, 425gr arrow and I can practice out to 115-120 without vane contact.  My problem with single pins for hunting is that you have to either let down/rerange or guess where to hold your pin when the animal moves further/closer. Some people know their trajectory well enough that the single pin doesn't hold them back, as it would for me.

Hybrid sights end up getting expensive but I would suggest buying the best you can. I have the CBE hybrid and have had some troubles(machining tolerances making noise), I would probably go for Axcel if I had to do it again.

• Like 2

Check out the Garmin xero a1I

I have had them on both my bows for the last 3 years and really like them since you can set it to a single pin or multiple pins.  I’m getting 90-94 yards max on both set ups . No extra movement when up in close trying to get a range with a range finder . Just point and shoot .

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of a 5 pin slider. Currently I'm using a spott hogg fast eddie. I would set my sight at 30-70 and float the bottom pin. You will want fixed pins for quick shots and the floater to dial in longer shots. IMO

Depending on your draw length, arrow set up etc... you should get 100 yards out of it. I would practice all day at 100 even if you only want to shoot 50 or 60. It makes a difference. 

• Like 2

Agree with WHT_MTNMAN.  I have a few different bows.  One wears a Garmin Xero and one wears a 6 pin slider Montana black gold.  They both have their place but the Garmin maxes out at 82 yards on my bow.  The Montana black gold can get out to 100 if I choose to send it.  I sight in 20-70 yards on the pin and use the bottom pin as my slider out to 100 yards.