Sign in to follow this  
Guest DesertCoyote

Finding whitetails in fringe areas?

Guest DesertCoyote

Hi-

I'm new here- love the website! I live in northwestern AZ and just learned that there are supposed to be some Coues deer between Seligman and Williams. I'm hoping to go archery hunting for deer this winter, and I would be very excited to be able to go Coues deer hunting! Does anyone have any suggestions for finding them in this kind of fringe habitat, where they are probably few in number and hard to find? In this sort of pinyon-juniper country, where should I be looking for whitetails (vs mulies)? The main part of the Coues whitetail's range is a bit far for me to travel to, but Seligman-Williams is within reach for me.

Thanks!

A friend of mine killed a 90 class buck in the Chino Point area N. of Seligman about 15 years ago. This is really weird. If I was lookin for coues in Dec/Jan I wouldn't go there. I have spent a lot of time hunting mule deer and elk in unit 10 over the last 25 years and have yet to see a whitetail. I have heard reports of whitetails being taken (again few and far between and over the years) near Williams. E-mail me and I'll offer a legitimate suggestion.

Mike

Guest Geoff Lloyd

hey desertdog shoot me an e-mail i can let you in on a area where i see coues in unit 10 geoffpeaksforest@aol.com

later

Geoff

That is quite a ways north!

I have heard about a honey hole canyon in the 4a/b area but that is a long ways south of yours. Keep us updated on your success! :huh: