a good man died saturday. best hunter i ever knew also. Lamell Ellsworth, born 2-25-1933, died 4-30-2005. lived in Showlow, Az. he suffered a severe stroke about 8 years ago that left him paralyzed on his left side. much to the joy of every deer, elk, lion, turkey and bear in the country. a pure tracker. probably the best there ever was. best hunter and angler i ever knew, for sure. knew about how an animal or fish was going to act better than any bioligist ever would. a true student of the woods. only man i ever knew who could track down a lion and kill it, with no dogs. just get on a fresh track and run it down. did it multiple times too. most of his game was taken with an antique longbarreled .30/30 that was passed down from his father and most of his fish were taken on a cane pole. he could "figure 8" in huge trout with an 18' foot cane pole with 2 pound line and never break off. truly amazing to watch. knew more tricks than you could print in 50 books. took countless huge muleys and bears. many record heads of all Arizona's species. the kind of a man that tall tales are told about, but they aren't tall tales. he was a nice guy too. humble, hardworking, honest and friendly. it's useless to even try and list his feats in the mountains. just too many of them. he's survived by his wife, Pam, 2 sons, a couple siblings, and by the mountains. wherever you walk in Arizona, Lamell's footprints are probably under yours. i'll miss him sorely and am proud to say he was my friend. Lark.