Lamell Ellsworth

a good man died saturday. best hunter i ever knew also. Lamell Ellsworth, born 2-25-1933, died 4-30-2005. lived in Showlow, Az. he suffered a severe stroke about 8 years ago that left him paralyzed on his left side. much to the joy of every deer, elk, lion, turkey and bear in the country. a pure tracker. probably the best there ever was. best hunter and angler i ever knew, for sure. knew about how an animal or fish was going to act better than any bioligist ever would. a true student of the woods. only man i ever knew who could track down a lion and kill it, with no dogs. just get on a fresh track and run it down. did it multiple times too. most of his game was taken with an antique longbarreled .30/30 that was passed down from his father and most of his fish were taken on a cane pole. he could "figure 8" in huge trout with an 18' foot cane pole with 2 pound line and never break off. truly amazing to watch. knew more tricks than you could print in 50 books. took countless huge muleys and bears. many record heads of all Arizona's species. the kind of a man that tall tales are told about, but they aren't tall tales. he was a nice guy too. humble, hardworking, honest and friendly. it's useless to even try and list his feats in the mountains. just too many of them. he's survived by his wife, Pam, 2 sons, a couple siblings, and by the mountains. wherever you walk in Arizona, Lamell's footprints are probably under yours. i'll miss him sorely and am proud to say he was my friend. Lark.

Sounds like a great guy. Someone it would have been great to spend time in the field with. Sorry he's gone. But you are lucky to have known him so well Lark.

Amanda

My condolences Lark to you and the family, I agree with Amanda, sounds like a great guy to have known.

Robin Bechtel wrote an article in Eastmans' Journal a decade or so ago honoring Lamell. He had taken huge animals of all kinds. Sure would liked to have spent some time in the hills with Lamell. Any who did are very fortunate.

We could all take a few lessons from Lamell's Life. No doubt he learned many of the tings that he is remembered for.

Live life to it's fullest, and do it well, for the time we have is not guaranteed.

Take pleasure and learn from every moment we have.

Lark,

Thanks for the moment of reflection.

a few pages in a magazine can't even make a scratch on the surface of this ol' mountaineer's life. he was one cool dude for sure. he had more stories that could make me cry with laughter. just BSin' with Lamell was better than any McManus book i ever read. i don't know why his cousin, Elro, never shot him, he pulled so many tricks on him. last time i saw him i could tell he was in the downhill slide. but he never complained. never whined. i guess he was maybe the toughest guy i ever knew. maybe even tougher than my dad. well, all the animals are safer now for sure. you climb that mountain a shoutin', Pard. Lark.

Hey Lark,

I knew Lamell abit, sure was a good old guy. I didn't get to know him very much since he has been ill for quite some time. Most of the stories from Show Low mention either Lamell or his relatives. Sure leaves a great legacy, my grandfather I just found out worked with Lamell for years back in the late 60's, i'm sure he has some good stories. Well just wanted to add and pay my respects to the family and memory of a great man.

Lark, thank you so much for the heart felt message about my dad, Lamell. Papa, as we like to call him, is truely missed. But like you said, he has probably roamed every mountain, hill, valley, desert, and cave around. Next time your out in the hills, think about him. He will always be there.

My brother and I are currently developing a web-site dedicated to him. Most people who knew him have a story about him that if told in truth most people still wouldn't belive, or would be amazed. If anyone has any stories to share, feel free to email them to naturallyalternative@yahoo.com. There is another web address lamellellsworth@yahoo.com, but we have had some issues with that one. I'll let you know as soon as the web-page is up and running.

Thank you again.

Ron