Sign in to follow this  
GameHauler

Insurance Rider

Trying to get some input on gun insurance rider.

I have to renew my home owners insurance and was

thinking maybe I should get a rider for my guns/optics.

I do own guns that are registered to me as well as ones not.

My concern with the current administration trying to take away

the second amendment rights if I listed the Items with my

insurance could/would this info be had by the government?

Whats ya think?

You can get gun insurance through the NRA. Some home owners insurance companies will cancel your policy if they know you have guns in the house.

your better off getting a good safe

i would give the fed chance to see a recorded of what you have no way

ask yourself this do think the insurance company could be trusted with your info

I own an independent insurance agency and can shed some light on that for you. When you list these items (as I do!) be sure to take into account which deductible you choose. If you have a high deductible ($1000 or more) simply keep in mind you might not want to make that claim if you lost $2000 (swaros!) as you would not want to pay higher insurance rates for three years following the claim.

If you were to lose everything in a fire for example, listing them would help as there are typically very low limits on a standard homeowners policy and you would not be properly reimbursed. As far as the government gaining knowledge I could only speculate but I would assume they could!

Also, make sure you opt for replacement cost coverage as opposed to actual cash value. You do not want to pay an additional premium and have to fight an insurance company for depreciated values on optics etc. Also, coverage wise they do not need to be registered to you. At least with each of the companies I represent but I don't want to speak for all of them.

Just my .02

I knew about and forgot about the NRA insurance :rolleyes:

Guess it is because of all the mail I get from them but seldom read,

The only real problem I have with them and still feel we all should join.

Does anyone else have insurance from them and has anyone used it?

Looks like the safest way to go.

Thanks DB, scoutm and joeeden for the input ;)

I looked into it a couple years ago and the long and short of it is that after about 2.5 years premiums, that $$$ amount would pay for a safe, so I bought a safe at one of the gun shows. However, if they are stolen from your on a hunt or something like that, you're pretty much out of luck. I believe my normal policy only covers about $1500 for firearms. Pretty minimal!!

BTW. If you buy a safe....they're never big enough. I have one of the largest ones sold to normal public and it's already full!!