Sign in to follow this  
Whitey

Where have all the good bucks gone?

Spent Thursday thru Sunday in 23 looking for a 100" plus buck. Best I could find was a 95". Hit the Greenbacks hard with no success. Anyone else having the same problem? I'm figuring its a little early. Really did not see any hard core rut action. Can't wait to return for the last week. Not sure if I should try another area? or just stick to what I know.

From personal experience, and lots of it in 23, the unit is looking fantastic. I have been seeing quite a few mature bucks this year and last. My cousin and good family friend both pulled out 105+ bucks on the juniors hunt this year in 3 days of hunting.

And to be honest, I wouldn't judge the quality of a huge unit like 23 based on a single outing... I usually spend 30+ days in 23 every year and I still can't cover enough ground to judge the unit...

I would have to agree with you it is a huge unit and my first time hunting it. I know 22 like the back of my hand it will just take some time to explore 23 to find the little critters.

Not sure its been 4 years since i had a late tag. But in 6A I have seen a pile of 80 to 85 bucks and a few 90 to 95's. I almost went after a 95 yesterday but I have seen him in the same spot a few days ago and there are about 10 does around him. So he will be my backup plan if I cannot locate a bigger one.

I have only checked about half my spots so far and had to work today :o

I have seen some of 80 class bucks actively chasing does but the bigger ones I saw were not to interested yet.

While elk hunting last week in 23 we saw 2 bucks over 100" and one that would go 110" +. They are there just keep searching they are definetly there.