Sign in to follow this  
ablalock

30B-need help Coues deer

I got drawn for the October rifle hunt in 30b WHITETAIL. Where do you suggest I hunt? I have hunted in 36 before but I hear that the terrain is worse than over there. We are coming down from the White Mtns. and I definitely don't want to go home empty handed after that long of a drive. Help me out

It is difficult to give you the advice on where to hunt since I don?t know what type of terrain or vegetation that you like to hunt in, or how you hunt. Some people might like to hunt big mountains with big canyons, and others may like to hunt rolling hills. Some might like to hunt the thick oak and manzanita, and some may like open areas with ocotillo and mesquite. It all depends on your personal preference. Some people like to sit and glass while others hike for miles, or do a combination of both. The only thing that I can tell you is to get maps, and get out and drive, and find where you can get into and where you can?t, access is a big issue. Find areas that look good to you that meet your hunting style. Getting into more difficult areas will usually mean fewer hunters to deal with. I believe deer can be found all over and most large canyons will have deer in them.

This is from fish and game web page.

Good luck.

White-tailed Deer

Overview: Unit 30B has a relatively small population of whitetail deer in relationship to nearby units. These populations are isolated to the Dragoon Mountains and the southern end of the Mule Mountains near Bisbee. Whitetail can also be found along the San Pedro River. The 2003/04 buck:doe:fawn ratio was 22:100:47, and the combined hunt success for the Oct. and Nov. firearms hunts was 13 percent, up from 9% last season. This year?s buck:doe ratio decreased significantly,39% as did the the fawn:doe ratio, 10%

Overall, the unit has approximately 125.5 square miles of whitetail deer habitat of medium to low density, in the Dragoon and Mule Mountains. Sportsmen must be aware that a large portion of the habitat in the Mule Mountains is inaccessible. Also, accessible habitat within the Mule and Dragoon Mountains can be far from existing road and extremely rugged. To reduce the frustration, it is a good idea to scout the unit and secure access into a desired area before applying for a whitetail permit in the unit.

The Dragoon Mountains are part of the Coronado National Forest so a forest service map will help you with the road system and the access points. Topo-graphical maps will help you get around the rest of the unit.

Whitetail can also be found along the San Pedro River, but the thick vegetation can make it difficult to get a good clean shot at a buck. Also, parts of the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area are closed to firearm hunting (Charleston Rd. to SR. 92) so getting the Bureau of Land Management's regulations is a must. (1763 Paso San Luis, Sierra Vista, AZ 85635 (Phone No. 520-458-3995).

Remember, when hunting units with both whitetail and mule deer; both species can be found in the same habitat types within the unit. Before hunting either of the two species, consult the Hunting Regulations: Commission Order 2 for distinguishing physical characteristics.

Areas: Access into the Mule Mountains is very limited compared to the Dragoon Mountains as most of the major canyons are inaccessible by vehicle. One of the easiest ways to get into the Mule Mountains is to take Highway 80 south of I-10 at Benson. Continue down Highway 80 past Tombstone. Approximately 2.5 miles south of Tombstone take Davis Road east to High Lonesome Road and south to access the east side of the mountain. There are two dirt roads off of the High Lonesome that will access the eastern side of the Mules, and you can access whitetail habitat in the upper parts of a few canyons. Access to the top of the mountain from Hwy. 80; the Juniper Flats Road travels northeast to the radio towers. One thing to remember when you are in the Mule Mountains is the private land, most will be posted and locked, so respect the ranchers' wishes. Hiking from open areas across state land will get you in most of the Mule Mountains. The area is very rugged and steep and requires a lot of effort on the hunter?s part.

Access into the southwest corner of the Mule Mountains can be gained off of Highway 92 between Sierra Vista and Bisbee. When driving east on Highway 92 from Sierra Vista to Bisbee. Various dirt roads intersect the highway from the north (m.p. 345, m.p. 350, and Fowdy Ranch Rd.). This area is being developed so be aware of the residence in the area.

I will PM you some info I have a 27 elk tag maybe we could trade some info. I know 27 pretty well already but I am always looking for more info.