Sign in to follow this  
trophyhnter

Overnight San Diego Fishing Trip

We chartered an overnight fishing trip back in May for tuna but the bite is not on so when we got the Fishermans Landing and were told that we would be fishing San Clements island. We were all somewhat disappointed as we had been looking forward to some tuna actions. We had been looking at the current tuna fish counts for the various boats and it didnt look good. The boat captain convinced us that it would be better to fish the island for bass, rock fish, and yellowtails as opposed to taking a boat ride for maybe a tuna or two. Side note, when I got home I checked the web and saw that a two day charter came in the same day we did and they had 2 dorados and 1 yellowtail!. Also, as of today the mulitday trips are still having problems getting the tuna to bite. It turns out that we were in line for a great day of fishing. I personally caught over 30 fish (I didnt keep them all). With the last fish of the day being a big yellowtail that gave me one heck of fight! We were 10 fishermen in total and our days catch was 67 (mostly calico bass, 3 sheepshead, 3 white seabass, and 10 sand perch) and 5 yellowtail that we catch within the last hour of the trip. The best part was the my 8 year old nephew caught and fought unassisted the biggest fish and won the big fish contest. He has been ocean fishing in San Diego 4 times in his young life and has won big fish contest three times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say we all were very happy that the captain talked us into going to a place that would give us the best chance to catch fish. Great Time had by all!!!!!!!!!!

post-127-1281684659.jpg

post-127-1281684704.jpg

post-127-1281684753.jpg

post-127-1281684794.jpg

post-127-1281684833.jpg

Congrats on an awesome time! Hopefully when I get back on tonight after work, you will have posted some pictures of this great adventure.

Gotcoues, here you go! Unfortunately, I didnt take any pics while we were fishing as the action was nonstop and didnt think to stop.