Sign in to follow this  
josh

Caging Bobcats

First day after putting in my sets had a nice tom. Next day had a female in my Briarpatch cages. I now have 9 sets out so hopefully a couple more will walk in before the fur auction in globe next month. It is just as exciting seeing the door down on a cage as calling them in.

117_0113.jpg

117e0258.jpg

117e0259.jpg

Congrats, I haven't had much time to set many sets this year. Maybe 10 trap days total. What kind of lure were you using? I'm hoping to spend a little time on some grey fox next month.

I have to confess Josh's success actually got me motivated to get my cages out. He's been tearing it up. Bobcats that don't come in to the call now get harvested in cages while we sleeps.

There are 2 different methods of killing the bobcat in a cage. You can shoot it with a small rimfire or use a catch pole and quickly choke it out. Bullets often get blood on the pelts so Josh and I opt to choke them out. Here is a video of me dispatching a good sized bobcat a few nights ago. Quite an adrenalin rush!

File is in AVI format and pretty large. It's at night so video camera work is limited.

http://www.hyperwrx.com/Hunting/1_11a.avi

Some pictures of my cages and bobcats I have harvested in the last week.

We are lucky to have one of the best cage builders in the United States. Take advantage of it.

bpc9.jpg

1_13a.jpg

bpc10.jpg

1_13b.jpg

bpc1.jpg

Choking is the way I have been dispatching mine also. Nice to not have blood and holes to stitch up.

Josh/Hyperwrx who builds your cages. I heard there was a really good builder here in Az some time ago but can't remember his name. I know pelt prices are up this year. I got access to a bunch of private property up in Northern AZ and we just put some traps out today.....specifically for bobcats. Stinkin' coyotes are too dang smart for me....save those for predator callin'.

Great job you guys. Thanks for sharin'

Bob Smart makes the cages we use. He has the best cages in the nation and we're lucky to have him right here in the valley. Look at his stuff at briarpatchcages.com.

That's the guy. Have you guys had anyone screw with your stuff? I still get pissed every time we go out thinking about the stupid tree huggers shutting down the "leg hold" traps. With all the stuff people have to do to trap, you'd think the AZGFD would like to keep all of us out of it and just pay the salary for a couple government trappers and some helicopters......sad in my opinion.

Boy I hate to say it but I have been lucky and not had a cage messed with yet. Hope it stays that way. It is amazing how well a cage can blend in and be hidden from people. Check out those cages from Bob and you wont be dissapointed. Let us know how your trapping goes and good luck.

Oh by the way Bob also makes his own gland lures and call lures. That is what I have been using with great results. Nice to have a local guy with the experience and expertise to help rookies.

I also have not had anyone mess with my cages but right now I have them set adjacent to some horse tails that go into some nice washes. I am crossing my fingers.

Bobcats getting bigger and bigger each day. Todays was about 45 pounds and smelled real bad.

1_15a.jpg