Sign in to follow this  
deserthunter23

San Carlos Nov 04 tag

Brian,is that you?,Bob talks highly of you,love to talk with you,dont want to steal your spots ,just thought you might be able to give up a little info, me and bob have been friends a long time,thanks for the posts,and your deer are awesome,Steve H

Brian, just wanted to say hi..had a great time with you when we did the bear hunt...like to do more hunting with you in the future...we know some of the same people...i hear reports about your hunts every now and then sounds like your doing great...my e-mail is heidi.horchler@cox.net.. Bob H

We also have nov. tags,we couldn't get jan. tags because we were in the field but the nov. tag is also good,alot of the bucks are still bachlored up so if you glass one your likly to see another.Bob my e-mail is elknut1@earthlink.com,iwent strickly back to guiding for a living two seasons agoand have been doing well.

Brian,thanks again for the info,thought maybe from your message you got the last tags,just a question.Bob was going to go with me can he go without a tag if he has a camping permit?,looked thru the San Carlos regs and couldnt find anything.thought you used to be able to but heard they changed it.let me know if you have any info on that ,thanks again Steve H

I have heard your friends need a permit to even go in the field with you on top of the camping permit but im not sure. someone let us know its a good thing to know.

You use to half to have a companion permit but they did away with them,a camping permit alos you to be at camp but not in the field,probably the best thing would be to cll them and ask ,because you don't want to get in any trouble over there and if someone says its ok to be in the field with a permit holder get it in writing because you will get checked.

thanks Brian,definately dont want to be in trouble on res.just a working guy,tag was expensive to me,will figure out something with horshler and will check with reservation game and fish,Steve H

Amanda,love this site,thought I saw you on here earlier,heard you used to work as biologist for san carlos,if true would love to talk with you,not wanting to steal spots just some generic starting spots would be great,keep up the good work ,love this site ,Steve H

Guest JHN

I hunt the San Carlos somewhat and I am always dragging someone along with out a tag. As I had been told, the companion just needs the standard recreation permit ($7.00 per day). This allows you to camp, hike etc. If he wants to pack a weapon then they can get a predator license of some sort.

jh ,thanks ,its wed,3:00 pm Az time,just got off the phone with San Carlos game and fish,was told the companion can be in the field with a recreation permit to help with getting game out and glassing or whatever,they cannot hold or carry a weapon.......but if they have a predator or lion tag ,they can hunt that species during the same time,they still need a rec permit I think

ive never had much to do on the apache res. I have hunted alot up on the navajo . You say they told you dont need the companion permit and that is good to know. My thing now is if I think I need it on the res i get it. Up on the navajo we were archery hunting ( the biggest mule deer I have ever seen by the way). We had our bows in the bed of the truck. We were only going a few hundred yards down the road to pick up my brother in laws buck. and the navajo warden came up and pulled us over checked our tags, and saw the bows in open cases in the back of the truck. he gave us all a citation for hunting out of the back of the truck. there was four of us there. We were all up front in the cab. Then he said we had to each give him a hundred dollars or he would take our truck and bows for payment so we all said a hundred bucks is better and gav it to him and the four other game wardens that he radiod for help. We went by the tribal counsel on the way out of town to see if we could get our money back. They told us he is the law out there and could make his own choice for what he saw.Like I said in my life and on tv I have never seen so many book class bucks . That was 5 years ago and none of us have gone back again . So be sure on the res you even have the permits you think you might need.

And dont pick up any sheds there eather my cousin picked up a partial elk drop that was about ten years old. and they busted him for obtaining animal parts on the res and that was in san carlos. Not saying you shouldnt hunt there , But saing be safe.

amen to being safe,hoping maybe to hook up with some others that have tags,only 40 out there ,interested to know about anyone else,good job brian on getting another tag although I know from your pics that you like the jan tag,also love to know if anyone else has a san carlos august unit c bear tag,thanks again Steve H

Deserthunter23, well this is my first day on this site, and my first post. Seems like a bunch of good people...

I drew a Nov tag for 31 and am now beginning all the research to hopefully get a look at my first coues...

I have "bowhiked" the lower stuff for mulies, and am really looking forward to climbing up to some of the high stuff. Any tips would be hugely appreciated, my buddy and I are planning to get back in there for up to 5 days if needed. Hopefully my legs will take me...

Anyway, like I said I sure would appreciate any info you're willing to give up and I'm looking forward to reading some more of this site.

Thanks in advance,

Peter