Sign in to follow this  
Western Hunter

Montana Hunting Applications Instructions by Elk Hunter Magazine’s Hunting Editor Remi Warren

Step by step instructions to apply online for elk tags in Montana. Rember that the applications are due March 15th.

To start your application go the followowing link https://app.mt.gov/Als/Index or find the online applications on the Montana FWP webpage.

You will find a screen like the one in the picture below.

If you are not a resident click I am not a Montana Resident

screen-shot-1.jpg?w=1024&h=558

You will now enter your name and birth date. If you have hunted Montana before you were assigned an ALS number. You can look it up by clicking the link that says I don’t remember my ALS number.

If you have never hunted Montana just enter your name and birthdate then submit.

screen-shot-2.jpg?w=1024&h=558

If you don’t have an ALS number click “I am certain that I do not have an ALS number†the number will be assigned to you after you check out and will be a number after your birthdate. Remember this number so you can check your draw results later.

screen-shot-3.jpg?w=1024&h=558

You will now scroll down to below the heading  APPLICATION and put a one in ELK PERMIT, & GENERAL-ELK COMBO (see below). Make sure you do both these! Then choose submit.

screen-shot-4.jpg?w=1024&h=558

If you will be hunting with another person and want to hunt as a party put a yes in the box. If you are hunting alone choose no for all the options. Keep in mind that applying as a party may decrease your chances of drawing a elk permit in hard to draw areas.

screen-shot-5.jpg?w=1024&h=558

If you are the first person in your party to apply put yes in the box. At the end of the session on your receipt will be a party number. The second person to apply will use this party number when they do their application. The permit party number and elk combo party number may be different so make sure to save your receipt at the end of the session for the party numbers.

screen-shot-6.jpg?w=1024&h=558

If you are the first person to apply put the other hunters name in the box below your name. If you are the second person to apply you will be asked to enter your party number.

screen-shot-7.jpg?w=1024&h=558

You will now enter the unit you wish to apply for. Check http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=54716 for available units and draw odds. Rember that all applicants first choices are looked at before the second choice is considered. This means the only was to receive your second choice is if there are tags left over after the first choice.

You will also have to choose Yes for bonus points if you want to gain a bonus point. It is $20 more but is recommended. New this year, all bonus points will be squared!  This is great for hunters acquiring bonus points.

You will have two options for a refund if you do not draw the permit. The first lets you retain your general license the second gives you a 80% refund. In order to gain a point for the elk permit if you do not draw and choose to receive the refund it will cost you $215.34 in total out of pocket expense. This includes the permit fee, application fee, 20% of tag price retained by the state and the online application fee.

• ·         I am not applying for an elk permit.
  • ·         If successful in drawing a Big Game Combination or Elk Combination license and unsuccessful in drawing a special elk permit, I wish to retain my Big Game Combination or Elk Combination license and understand that I have a “General” elk license and can hunt elk in Montana following the regulations for General Elk. (Big Game Combinations include general Elk and Deer licenses)
  • ·         If successful in drawing a Big Game or Elk Combination license and unsuccessful in drawing a special elk permit, I wish to receive an 80% refund of the license.

You will be asked if you want to Participate in the prefernce point system for the GENERAL- ELK COMBO. This point is actually awarded prior to the draw. It is an additional $50 but will give you one point going in to this years application.

screen-shot-8.jpg?w=1024&h=558

Click submit to proceed to check out. You will fill out your personal information and pay with a credit card. You will want to print up and save your receipt for your ALS number, party numbers, and personal record.

screen-shot-9.jpg?w=1024&h=558

If you are looking to go on a guided Montana elk hunt and are not concerned with taking a trophy bull, check out www.montanaoutwest.com Remi has a few spots still available for rifle and archery elk hunts.  

2094 2094 2094 2094 2094 2094 2094 b.gif?host=feedtheobsession.elkhuntermagazine.com&blog=28377747&post=2094&subd=elkhuntermagazine&ref=&feed=1

View the full article